Talk

Advanced search

cocktail parties - any suggestions

(35 Posts)
laurawaterford Fri 15-Aug-08 19:25:27

I'm hosting a cocktail party - seemed a great idea at the time I sent out invites. However, I know nothing about cocktails. Any favourites? tips on food? It's happening tomorrow tonight rather than next week so suddenly I'm - so any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

ilovemydog Fri 15-Aug-08 19:28:27

margaritas!

And maybe nachos, salsa etc

Habbibu Fri 15-Aug-08 19:29:58

We have the Sauce Guide to cocktails - will go and fetch it...

Habbibu Fri 15-Aug-08 19:31:00

Right. What have you got in the house? <adjusts glasses, opens book>

laurawaterford Fri 15-Aug-08 20:08:58

Thank you thank you thank you. I have martini, cognac, whiskey, bourbon, pernod. (do any of those improve with age??)

laurawaterford Fri 15-Aug-08 20:09:36

How do I make margarithas?? (Can't even spell it)

Habbibu Fri 15-Aug-08 20:16:04

right. am starting with cognac pages...

Habbibu Fri 15-Aug-08 20:22:50

american beauty - cognac, vermouth (dry) orange juice, ruby port, sugar syrup, grenadine
Call me old fashioned - cognac, bitters, sugar syrup
french mule - cognac, lime juice, sugar syrup, bitters, ginger beer
manhattan island - cognac, red vermouth, bitters, maraschino syrup
pierre collins - cognac, lemon juice, sugar syrup, soda water
sidecar - cognac, cointreau, lemon juice, chilled water

Habbibu Fri 15-Aug-08 20:26:42

Margarita straight up:
2 shots tequila
1 shot cointreau/triple sec
1 shot freshly squeezed lime juice.
Shake ingredients with ice and strain into glass. Beforehand, run a lime wedge over the edge of a glass, and dip it into very fine table salt.

laurawaterford Fri 15-Aug-08 20:35:16

A friend has loaned me a glass cocktail shaker - unused, I think, from the '70s. Do i just add everything in together and shake?

In pubs, the cocktails (never had one) look very creamy or is it just lots of shaking up with the juice?

Habbibu Fri 15-Aug-08 20:39:58

Depends on the ingredients - things with pernod or fruit or cream do. God, hope someone else comes along soon - I've barely had a glass of wine in 4 years!

Habbibu Fri 15-Aug-08 20:41:24

With the margarita you just add things together - others you have to follow recipe. Let me look up whisky...

morningpaper Fri 15-Aug-08 20:45:03

If your bottles have been open for over a year then get rid and buy new ones

Champagne cocktails v. popular - get champagne or sparkling wine and mix with fruit schnapps (Archer's or Cointreau etc.)

Also Tia Maria and Coke (Black Russian) v. popular with the ladies

Buy lots of cocktail decorations and cocktail glasses (v. cheap in charity shops)

morningpaper Fri 15-Aug-08 20:45:51

I'm sorry but what ARE you doing hosting a cocktail party if you've NEVER HAD ONE?

Are you BONKERS?

Habbibu Fri 15-Aug-08 20:48:22

Bah, mp - I was going through big lists of v complex cocktails and then in you come, all sensible and that...

morningpaper Fri 15-Aug-08 20:50:38

I find with cocktails that people only really LIKE very basic ones, otherwise they have one margarita and start fondling your breasts and then pass out

so I go for COCKTAIL DRESS and muchos umbrellas/cocktail decorations (poundland and Woolworth's) - pineapple slices look good also cherries on sticks

massive bowl of limes and lemons

morningpaper Fri 15-Aug-08 20:50:53

and LOTS of ice - fill your freezer up NOW

littlelapin Fri 15-Aug-08 20:50:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Califrau Fri 15-Aug-08 20:51:24

morningpaper Fri 15-Aug-08 20:52:28

pineapple juice + mallibu + quarter slice of pineapple and umbrella = all ladies love this

littlelapin Fri 15-Aug-08 20:52:34

littlelapin Fri 15-Aug-08 20:53:17

Habbibu Fri 15-Aug-08 20:53:32

<sits back now the proper girls have arrived> On you go, ladies. Though my book is marv.

morningpaper Fri 15-Aug-08 20:55:31

When I do cocktail parties I concentrate on the lights - keep them LOW - I have fairy lights in the kitchen and disco lights in the lounge

This is because cocktails will SPILL EVERYWHERE and the place will look AWFUL under proper lighting

You entire kitchen will be sticky the next day so invest in a lot of Flash liquid

I like lovely CHEESY cocktail parties with lots of 1970's party tunes and pineapple-on-sticks type snacks

morningpaper Fri 15-Aug-08 20:56:04

Ice-crushers are useful too - Whittard's currently have them on sale for about 3 quid

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now