Talk

Advanced search

BABY SHOWER - ideas please...!

(9 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Tue 12-Aug-08 17:31:38

I have offered to organise a baby shower for a close friend of mine, for the bank holiday weekend at the end of August.

I have invited everyone, most can make it, some can't.

I have arranged a pedicure/facial for her in the late afternoon, and most people are contributing a few pounds to this, along with whatever baby gift they are going to buy.

That gets her out the house and being pampered, and boy does she need it!

What next? When she returns from being pampered...

She is diabetic so ice cream/indulgence of the sweet variety is out of the question, as is wine! I am going to make some nice nibbles for everyone, some balloons (pink - she is having a girl).

I really really need to have some suggestions to make this special. Is it enough to have people there with gifts/wishes of luck, or should there be more? And if so what?

At my baby shower, it was mainly girls talking about babies, eating nice food, some music, and a girly video in the evening. Is this enough?

JackieNo Tue 12-Aug-08 17:32:57

All sounds good - if you're of the crafty persuasion, I bet there are some ideas on the Martha Stewart website. But what you're suggesting sounds enough, I reckon.

JackieNo Tue 12-Aug-08 17:34:58

Martha Stewart site with stuff about baby showers (but probably all a bit full-ongrin).

PavlovtheCat Tue 12-Aug-08 17:43:46

shock do people really, actually do those things? Like a little party game of guess the baby name? or send guests home with a little 'favour'?!!! shock.

Oh dear! One good thing I go out of that website. Flowers. Must remember to buy a ton of flowers. And some candles for the evening. She is in to candles and smellies.

There. Thats what I shall do.

I think that will be adequate?

Ok, so, time? What time? I am thinking early evening start, say 5-6pm, then on until people have finished leaving? My friend was under the impression that it was a 'piss up' for us non-pregnant people!!! grin. I advised her it was her night not ours, and as she is getting tired easily it would not need be a late one, but she said she is happy for the evening to go on as long as everyone wants, and is in no rush to go to bed, which is why I was thinking a girly flick or two?

Is 'any' alcohol acceptable? Just so I can advise people who might want to bring a bottle to toast if its a good idea or not? Bearing in mind she is not drinking anything. I am thinking not hmm

JackieNo Tue 12-Aug-08 17:46:06

I suspect that it would be a bit unfair to have alcohol - definitely make sure you have a good range of non-alcoholic drinks around.

PavlovtheCat Tue 12-Aug-08 17:48:21

thats what I was thinking. But some have asked.

I will get some fruit juices/fizzy stuff and some diet coke for the pg lady - as she craves this!

At mine we drank tea, which to be honest was lovely!

JackieNo Tue 12-Aug-08 17:54:57

Maybe some really nice indulgent hot chocolate if you do the dvds later?

PavlovtheCat Tue 12-Aug-08 17:57:49

JackieNo - she can't have it. Well thats not exactly true...she can adjust her insulin to take account of the odd treat, but chances are she will have done that at least once during the evening, someone is bound to bring chocolate along grin

Its just such a pain for her, she usually just does not bother.

JackieNo Tue 12-Aug-08 17:58:33

OH no, sorry - forgot the no sugar thingsad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now