Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed re DS2's 5th Birthday Party

(3 Posts)
PinkButterfly Mon 11-Aug-08 16:12:09

We have had a pretty awful past year and DS's party last year was kinda thrown together at the last minute so we decided this year we would give him a really good one. Whole pirate theme going on, kids are dressing up, 3D pirate ship cake, having it on a ship and have hired Pirate Pete to entertain for two hours. All costing a pretty penny. We have 30 kids coming, 15 of whom are from nursery/school. It's all looking great and DS is v excited. Have just noticed on a wee leaflet that I hadn't even looked at that only 10 adults are allowed as part of the party and I am to pay £5 for each additional adult who is there. Given the ages of the children it's likely that each child will want at least one parent there and this could actually add another £100 to the cost of the party. Do I just accept that I need to pay this in order for DS to have such a party or is there a way I can limit the number of parents who stay without seeming rude and penny pinching (which I am honestly not)? All advice greatly appreciated.

savoycabbage Mon 11-Aug-08 16:18:01

It sounds excellent!

I would put the word out that you are not really expecting the parents to have to come if they don't want to and some will take the opportunity to go. I am always unsure what the expectation is when my dd is going to a party. The more confident ones won't need their parents there and their parents will know it.

PinkButterfly Mon 11-Aug-08 16:24:25

I know! It is going to be fab and if it was in a big hall or local sports centre I would have been quite happy for all the parents to stay and watch the entertainer (he is supposed to be fab for adults too!) but we went with the ship to make it even better for the kids. My ds's have never been any problem at parties and I am always able to leave them (in agreement with the parent of the birthday child of course). The venue isn't local to us so parents couldn't really nip home for a couple of hours but it is in walking distances to all the shops and restaurants in Glasgow City Centre so hoping the parents might fancy a wander. Obviously if there are children there who would be upset without their parent I would be happy to pay. It's just a lot of extra cash to spend on adults I really only know chatting to at the school gates but they may think its just ok to stay and I don't really want to have to tell them they costing me extra to do so. Bit of a dilema!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now