Talk

Advanced search

Am I obliged to invite everyone that invited ds to their party to his?

(12 Posts)
brimfull Mon 04-Aug-08 01:20:02

I need to know whether I have to plan a party for 10 kids or 20-30.

I'd rather do a small party for 6 boys but you know what it'slike,there are so many you feel you can't miss out so you may as well invite the whole damn class.Then I'll either have to get a clown in or do it myself and have nervous breakdown.

Birthdya is september ,class is the same kids as last yr.

Chocolateteapot Mon 04-Aug-08 08:01:01

I have always done a party for a few of the girls in DD's class rather than the whole lot and from what I've seen others have done the same.

So I'd do it for ten and spare the nervous breakdown/money for clown.

rosealbie Mon 04-Aug-08 08:06:09

In reception we had a party for the whole of ds's class. He is a July birthday and by then had been invited to nearly everone elses party (they all seemed to do a whole class party).

He has just had a party for 6 of his friends and most children seem to be having much smaller parties which is easier and cheaper.

brimfull Mon 04-Aug-08 11:28:28

that's the problem ,he's been to loads of his classmates parties last yr....do I have to invite them all back?

wheresthehamster Mon 04-Aug-08 11:32:27

Don't get embroiled in the whole class thing.

That way you feel duty bound to invite children who your child may not even like any more

Honestly, no thought has gone into whole class parties - just the lure of 29 presents.

FluffyMummy123 Mon 04-Aug-08 11:33:25

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Mon 04-Aug-08 11:34:13

if he's under 7 yes IMO

if he's 7 or over then no

Flier Mon 04-Aug-08 11:35:06

thats not true, wheresthehamster.
I think when dcs are younger it is nice, if you can, to have a whole class party (ie preschool/p1) after that age I think its best to have smaller parties with their close friends.

onepieceoflollipop Mon 04-Aug-08 11:44:16

Yes understand what Cod said.

If any of these parents invite you to get an invite back, they are quite shallow imo.

Friend invited 15-20 out of the class, a mother (v rude imo) confronted her with "where is my dd's invitation".

I would have said very nicely that I wasn't inviting the whole class. My friend didn't, she got all apologetic and embarrassed and wrote an extra invitation.

dd1's birthday is in January, so only some of the class will have had their parties by then. I intend to do a small do at home for 6-8 girls.

Tbh I think that as long as there is cake food and party bags and fun doesn't matter if there are only a few.

brimfull Mon 04-Aug-08 15:05:54

right so i can stick to set number ,say 8 kids and I don't have to feel guilty about it?

now I need to think of something to do

lljkk Mon 04-Aug-08 15:07:56

Birthday party invites are not considered obligatory to reciprocate here (either that or my children have lost at least 4 dozen invites in the last 4 years).

roisin Mon 04-Aug-08 15:37:31

Yes, that's fine. When ds1 was 5-7 he went to lots of 'whole class parties', but when it was his birthday he chose to do something much smaller.

One year he took just two friends (plus db) and we went up the coast on the train; then on a miniature steam railway up the valley; picnic with birthday cake and balloons; walk to a waterfall; ride home.

Another year he took three or four friends to the local zoo. Again we were out for the whole day including a proper meal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now