Talk

Advanced search

Party Bags- What do you spend?

(56 Posts)
Skribble Wed 09-Feb-05 14:57:16

Considering adding party bags to my business.

Would any of you consider buying in ready filled bags?

What sort of price would you pay for prefilled? or what have you spent doing your own?

Would you buy from someone advertising by posters/ flyers or would you prefer/ trust a shop more?

Was thinking of perhaps visiting parents at home with samples to take orders. Does this sound appealing to a stressed mum or more hassel?

Any other things I could sell along side Party Bags? Perhaps whole kits inc streamers, balloons, plates etc etc.

TIA all ideas welcome not sure what to do with my stagnating business.

moondog Wed 09-Feb-05 15:03:25

No.Don't subscribe to the notion of party bags at all. Noone coming to any of our parties gets one.
Why?? They've already eaten,their homes are probably full to the brim with plastic crap,and it'll all be thrown around the car and forgotten before they get home.
Similarly,party bags received by dd are quietly confiscated and disposed of. She never misses them.

Hey,but Skribble,that's just me!!!
Others might like it.
Did have a pary for my dd at a butterfly jungle place and ready bags were part of the deal. This place is very popular down my way because of this.

What other stuff do you do/are considering?

Gobbledigook Wed 09-Feb-05 15:05:23

I hate them too - full of utter rubbish you can't do anything with and I also quietly get shut of them before the kids notice.

I don't really understand the point of them - as if you've not spent enough already on the party. What's wrong with just taking a piece of cake with you?

That's not to say there is no market for it because noone else I know questions this, to me, bizarre notion - all my friends get quite wrapped up in it.

fredtbad Wed 09-Feb-05 15:15:36

YES YES YES!!!
We have held two parties at 1 & 2 yrs for our dd and it cost a fortune. The prizes for the party games were a hassle, wrapping five layers for 'pass the parcel', organising a 'pin the tail'. We had party bags each time and it costs a fortune to fill them, estimated about 3.50 for each bag and there were 10 kids! Doesn't sound much individually but it certtainly adds up.
Next birthday we are going with a package where you get the plates, cups, tablecloth, loot bags, napkins, invitations etc all in, for about 50 quid for the large pack, i think. The time it takes to prepare the party is awful!!
Still all the smiley faces are worth it
Actually that reminds me....

Flip Wed 09-Feb-05 15:17:44

I buy tat off ebay bulk section or stuff in the supermarket's when it's on offer. I now have a huge box full of party bag tat which I delve into at birthday times. I manage to do atleast 30 bags and still have stuff left over. Need something pirate like this year. He's insistant on a pirate party.

But when he get's bags, I take them off him and he never sees the sweets or the crap that ds2 would choke on.

Kayleigh Wed 09-Feb-05 15:21:38

When i do party bags I try and stick to a pound a bag. Don't think kids are bothered by what they get in them so wouldn't go to a lot of trouble for them. I generally pick up stuff when i see it and keep it till I need it. Then add a couple of mini-bars and a balloon.

soapbox Wed 09-Feb-05 15:23:09

Skribble - you can already buy filled party bags from (not sure which one) partiesbypost ro monsterparties or partybox.

I paid £2 per bag and I think they were very good value for money. I only have to pop in a piece of birthday cake on the day and they're done!

Joolstoo Wed 09-Feb-05 15:24:02

moondog - we need more like you! (I knew gdg felt like that )

Blackduck Wed 09-Feb-05 15:27:44

Hate the things too.....and haven't done them...why do you have to spend even more money giving the children who attended the party a gift!

moondog Wed 09-Feb-05 15:30:26

It devalues the worth of the party. My life is a one woman mission against a constant onslaught of plastic. F** it, I want my house to look nice, and more to the point, I don't believe that kids even bother with about 80% of what is lying about.

kalex Wed 09-Feb-05 15:30:55

Hate them, refuse to do them for my kids parties.

Also dispose of the ones that come home. More rubbish cluttering up my home, Sorry

nailpolish Wed 09-Feb-05 15:32:31

what about a slice of the birthday cake and a polaroid of the party? i have discovered that children love photos of themselves

if you dont have a polaroid camera maybe could borrow one

catgirl Wed 09-Feb-05 15:33:51

Moondog - sws mawr to you! I couldn't agree more!

fredtbad Wed 09-Feb-05 15:35:50

That's a lovely idea nailpolish

SoupDragon Wed 09-Feb-05 15:38:23

I love doing party bags myself and never put any plastic cr*p in as I despise it. I put in felt pens from Ikea plus "colour in" stuff from Baker Ross and some chocolate (no horrid gummy sweets) - it's usually pretty cheap. Because of my hatred of plastic cr*p and gummy sweets, I wouldn't buy prefilled bags.

Have to say, if you're going to put cr*p in a bag, don't bother doing one. I don't put anything in that I wouldn't be happy with my child(ren) receiving.

collision Wed 09-Feb-05 15:38:30

We bought partycups from partypieces.co.uk. They were fab & only cost 65p each, so that was the pressie. I added a tangerine, choc bar and looly and cake and they each had a helium balloon. Everyone was happy and the cup itself was a decent pressie.

collision Wed 09-Feb-05 15:39:34

lolly, not looly!!!

fredtbad Wed 09-Feb-05 15:41:32

I like soupdragons approach

Gobbledigook Wed 09-Feb-05 15:42:26

I like that too Nailpolish - i think we've got one somewhere so will get dh to dig it out!

I know everyone's busy and everything but it also seems odd to me to describe the party planning as 'a hassle' - I'm really looking forward to sorting things out for ds1's party in April - it's all part of the fun of having kids and seeing them enjoy it. I'm not really a fan of these soft play parties either - we went to one last night and OK, the kids enjoyed it (which I suppose is the point!) but it's like you bung the place £100 and hey presto, you do bugger all except buy a Tesco a cake. The food they gave last night was bloody awful too - yeuk!!

Sorry, I know I'm going to get slated for that but it's just my opinion! I know there are all sorts of reasons for choosing that type of party - like lack of space at home, but there just seems to be nothing special about it - especially when the venue is open to the public anyway.

fredtbad Wed 09-Feb-05 15:44:36

GDG
We went to a soft play party once & I wouldn't go again. The food was in edible, and two of the children pee'd in the pit. Noone cleaned it up, which suggested to me it may have been a regular occurence. We left shortly after that

nailpolish Wed 09-Feb-05 15:44:48

i dont like these places either gdg, id rather have them round the house. i think little children prefer it too, they dont ask or look for much. my dd1 is only 2.4 tho, so what do i know!

Gobbledigook Wed 09-Feb-05 15:45:26

- yeuk!!

Quite a few ours coming up are soft play ones but you do get the place to yourself. Still not very nice I don't think but only my opinion!

Gobbledigook Wed 09-Feb-05 15:47:05

DS1 is quite happy with the fact that he's having his at home - it's his 4th birthday and we've not had one before because up to now, we've done a joint party in our NCT group but now they are 4 they are the point where they'd appreciate their own I think.

I think you are right, kids that small don't ask for much and quite easily pleased unless of course you raise their expectations by giving them too much too soon!

Gobbledigook Wed 09-Feb-05 15:47:44

Oh, Collision's cup idea is good one too I think!

fredtbad Wed 09-Feb-05 15:48:21

The place was hired out as for a private function as it was only small. I think that parties get easier to organise at home, the more practice you have. The first was a bit stressful because my time management was crap tbh, but the second one wasn't as bad. The fact that I enjoyed the planning and had help from dh and my mum and dad for the second one was probably what made it seem easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now