Talk

Advanced search

Bunting - irredeemably kitsch or perfectly acceptable?

(34 Posts)
MrsBadger Wed 23-Jul-08 13:11:13

for a first birthday party in the garden?

(yes, there will be cupcakes, possibly piled artfully on a glass cake stand)

JackieNo Wed 23-Jul-08 13:12:16

Oh go for it, I reckon. I like it even more now, since those threads. It has more back-storygrin.

AllBuggiedOut Wed 23-Jul-08 13:13:06

Fabulous! Especially if homemade from scraps of gorgeous fabric. Go for it.

MrsBadger Wed 23-Jul-08 13:15:08

'homemade from scraps of gorgeous fabric?'

you are 'avin a larf

it'll be sewn by trained monkeys in the third world and bought at low low internet prices

HughJasss Wed 23-Jul-08 13:16:19

PMSL grin

HughJasss Wed 23-Jul-08 13:17:02

Will the cupcakes be homemade though?

JackieNo Wed 23-Jul-08 13:18:10

Waitrose, I reckonwink.

cheesesarnie Wed 23-Jul-08 13:18:17

grinpmsl!
i like bunting

MrsBadger Wed 23-Jul-08 13:18:39

oh yes
for all my posturing I do not do Shop Cake

well, not for children.

filthymindedvixen Wed 23-Jul-08 13:19:42

I like bunting. I have pirate bunting on my boat, Tibetan prayer flags at home (spiritual bunting ) and home made plaggy bag bunting to keep birds off my allotment.
I think most of the derision for bunting came more from the notion of Arabella Cupcake-Bunting and her friends and their cunning little cottage industries producing over-priced unneccessary shit
Cheap as chips bought of t'interweb is fine...as is home mdae, if you really need summat to do with your hands. I find bunting-making keeps me off the Benson&Hedges wink

MrsBadger Wed 23-Jul-08 13:22:49

Oh I was there being scathing on the original Bunting-Cupcake thread... hence my need to check out whether it'd be a terrible faux pas to actually use the stuff.

Prayer flags are an interesting idea, not least because we have a bunch already in the Crap From Our Gap Years box...

RubySlippers Wed 23-Jul-08 13:24:53

it is totally kitsch, but that is the point?

it is MN law that you will at some point be REALLY scathing about something, and then find yourself really wanting that very same thing

MadBadandDangeroustoKnow Wed 23-Jul-08 13:25:05

I love, love, love bunting for all its nostalgia and for its post-modern Boden/Kidston/cupcake/lifestyle baggage. I made my own and am now contemplating becoming a mumtrepreneur with a darling little mail order business run from my Cotswold barn conversion. My friend the editor of Bijou Home (incorporating Bunting Monthly) will give me a two page advertorial, in which my angelic blonde twins Hector and Persephone will feature prominently. wink

MrsBadger Wed 23-Jul-08 13:26:57

[slaps MB&DTK with a wet kipper]

WideWebWitch Wed 23-Jul-08 13:29:20

Well, I would be scathing about bunting in almost any context but a 1yo birthday party.

If we're talking grown woman strewing it around a garden for effect, then hmm but for a 1yo party, definitely allowed imo.

WideWebWitch Wed 23-Jul-08 13:29:56

lol at bunting monthly

MadBadandDangeroustoKnow Wed 23-Jul-08 13:32:06

Ouch!

But I really do love bunting. I was on that thread too. My ire was directed (as Filthy suggested) at Arabella Bunting-Cupcake and her chums and their play- businesses. But such has been the public acclaim heaped on my homemade bunting that I have now decided to go into partnership with Arabella. The world is a better place for bunting.

filthymindedvixen Wed 23-Jul-08 13:36:38

I emailed Red, Eve and Homes and Gardens, but they all declined my offer to travel to my charming and picturesque 2-up-2down in Scunthorpe, to witness me making my new line of bunting out of Lidl and Netto Carriers....

Slubberdegullion Wed 23-Jul-08 13:37:09

It's pretty, it flutters, what's not to like.

Could it suddenly become ironic bunting if guests start taking the piss?

WideWebWitch Wed 23-Jul-08 13:37:20

lol fmv

Twiglett Wed 23-Jul-08 13:38:12

perfectly acceptably kitsch

you say kitsch as though it's a bad thing .. am confused grin

AllBuggiedOut Wed 23-Jul-08 13:39:11

Nonsense - staples, scissors and a bit of ribbon. Doddle!

StellaWasADiver Wed 23-Jul-08 13:39:24

I was planning to use bunting when decorating DS's room, is this a bit controversial then? shock

Songbird Wed 23-Jul-08 13:40:22

Twiglett - you took the exact words out of my fingertips! I love bunting!!!

Songbird Wed 23-Jul-08 13:41:11

And lol at 'ironic bunting' slubber!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now