Talk

Advanced search

Alternatives to party bags

(22 Posts)
MrsBates Tue 22-Jul-08 16:15:21

Ay good ideas for alternatives to giving a party bag - maybe a book or craft kit? Has anyone done this instead of the usual bag of old toot? I used to make really great bags when my children only had three guests but now there are more it would cost a fortune. Fed up with doing this kind of stuff just because everyone else does it but would like to give them something. OR get them to make their own thing - flower pots? Any more ideas...

JackieNo Tue 22-Jul-08 16:16:24

Packs of books from the Book Peope (sale on atm, I think), and split between the kids.

MrsTittleMouse Tue 22-Jul-08 16:17:16

Could you make a batch of fairy cakes and let them decorate their own to take home? DD1 is still too young for all this, so don't know if that's practical.

suzywong Tue 22-Jul-08 16:18:01

lucky dip
big bucket
newspaper shredded by hand - very theraputic
range of crappy toys from the pound shop
bob's yeruncle everyone happy

frumpygrumpyhasPMT Tue 22-Jul-08 16:18:17

I've given Mr Men books at the end of a party - big hit and not too expensive, just added a couple of mini Milky Ways/Mars Bars etc. Also given flip flops after my DD1's last party (girls were age 7/8), bought from Next £3. You can add a balloon if you want it to seem more.

MrsBates Tue 22-Jul-08 16:19:39

Like the idea of shredding the paper. Maybe I could add a few smashed up bits of crockery too for added therapy.

Flier Tue 22-Jul-08 16:20:59

I'm going to get our guests to decorate thei own party bags. Our games are then going to be a treasure hunt, and a lucky dip, amongst others, so any treasure they find will go in their party bags, I'll then add a slice of birthday cake and a pencil and some sweets before they go home.

janeite Tue 22-Jul-08 16:21:09

We did china mugs one year, with a sachet of hot choc, some marshmallows and a chocolate spoon - they went down well.

Fauve Tue 22-Jul-08 16:24:28

You can give them each a kid's comic, especially one with free toys on the front.

Flier Tue 22-Jul-08 16:31:17

mrsbates, how old are the children?

MrsBates Tue 22-Jul-08 16:33:12

My boy is going to be 3 and the others a bit on either side.

MrsBadger Tue 22-Jul-08 16:34:37

or get cotton tote bags and do paint-yer-own

janeite Tue 22-Jul-08 16:34:41

For tiny ones I think one item, rather than lots of "bits" is even better - a sticker book perhaps, or a Matchbox car, or a tub of playdough for example.

Flier Tue 22-Jul-08 16:35:32

what about those lucky bags you can buy - saves you having to bother and the kids would be more than happy i'm sure.

woodenchair Tue 22-Jul-08 17:24:37

ooh I like the idea of playdoh! not gender specific either.

Fimbo Tue 22-Jul-08 17:28:48

I gave dd's friends a gift card from Waterstones - the one with Charlie & Lola on it.

woodenchair Tue 22-Jul-08 17:50:52

wow fimbo, how much for?

Eeek Tue 22-Jul-08 17:53:47

my ds (5.5 yo) came home with a flowering cosmos plant from Wyevale. He was absolutely thrilled with it, we planted it and it's still flowering now. The girls got pink ones, and the boys white. all seemed genuinely pleased.

Eeek Tue 22-Jul-08 17:55:00

a balloon weighted down with a hot wheels car goes down very well with the 3year old boys - tie the ribbon round the car and they're pleased as punch!

JRocks Tue 22-Jul-08 18:13:55

decorate your own item kits here

NotQuiteCockney Tue 22-Jul-08 18:14:56

I do books - just buy from Book People or similar, have a range of age options, and go for it. It seems successful.

Fimbo Wed 23-Jul-08 09:10:12

WOODENCHAIR - I put £5 on them (only had 5 of them though so wasn't too bad!). I figured I could easily spend a fiver each on plastic crap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now