Talk

Advanced search

Do you bother to RSVP?

(25 Posts)
MrsBates Tue 22-Jul-08 16:10:49

I always do. How hard can it be? Often there's a mobile number provided - takes less than one minute. My son's party soon and only one parent bothered to RSVP. I guess I will cater for all the invited children although I feel like giving their rude and inconsiderate parents a huge lecture. Can't understand what is wrong with everyone.

Whizzz Tue 22-Jul-08 16:11:27

I always RSVP grin

babygrand Tue 22-Jul-08 16:12:20

Of course.

mamasaid Tue 22-Jul-08 16:14:17

I always do too MrsB and it drives me nuts. It's so difficult if you are planning party games and have to have enough layers in pass the parcel and enough prizes for musical statues or whatever. I always end up with way too much stuff as I'm worried some poor 4 yo will be sent along and not get a clicking beetle and a small box of smarties in a party bag.

Tigerschick Tue 22-Jul-08 16:17:12

It is plain rude to not RSVP but still turn up ... but, like you say, you have to expect that people will come if you haven't heard either way.

MrsBates Tue 22-Jul-08 16:17:22

Well that's some comfort - wish I'd invited all your children over instead.

chocolatespiders Tue 22-Jul-08 16:18:44

i have invited 25 to dd's party next week
6 have told me yes...

MamaG Tue 22-Jul-08 16:19:43

I find it incredibly rude

lumpsdumps Tue 22-Jul-08 22:05:33

Yes, I also do. I also find it very rude when people don't RSVP.

spicemonster Tue 22-Jul-08 22:06:52

If I'm asked to do so, I do. Otherwise it's VERY RUDE

MrsBates Tue 22-Jul-08 23:49:10

Not surprising that those who don't are quiet on here. Anyone think it's fine to ignore the invite and then turn up expecting all the usual stuff?

littlelapin Tue 22-Jul-08 23:49:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Frizbe Tue 22-Jul-08 23:53:22

Yes

mymblemummy Wed 23-Jul-08 23:50:04

Yes, I always RSVP. I think it is appallingly rude not to reply.

If I've heard nothing I start chasing them up a few days beforehand, politely but mercilessly.

I've still had people give me no answer and then dump their child on me on the day.

One couple were infamous at my eldest's last school for invariably not replying, then bringing the child and uninvited sibling, and NO present. Oh, and being last to collect. I keep seeing them in my local paper winning awards for their business/community service!

tangarine Wed 23-Jul-08 23:51:40

Yes, and people who don't drive me mad!

notasheep Wed 23-Jul-08 23:56:11

Yes and asap

kid Wed 23-Jul-08 23:59:52

I do, but I haven't for one party DS has been invited to next week blush must do it in the morning.

I didn't even know DS was invited to the party until I emptied his old books from school.

When I invited people to DS's party, the ones that didn't RSVP, I approached them and asked. They were very appologetic for not letting me know. Lets hope they learned a lesson and RSVP in future!

Califrau Thu 24-Jul-08 00:04:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

threestars Tue 29-Jul-08 00:12:34

I guess none of you are the parents of the children I've invited to DS's party sad!
22 invites, 4 replies. angry Well, at least those 4 are the ones he was desperate to spend the day with. Can't even follow up, as distributed via school nursery lockers. Don't know their phone numbers!

Mrs Bates and chocolatespiders, let us know how many turned up on the day!

threestars Tue 29-Jul-08 00:13:30

By the way, I have always RSVP'd within 5 days of receiving the invite.

arfishy Tue 29-Jul-08 03:47:01

Always. People who don't are put on my 'rude' list.

You'd think that once you've organised a party or two and know how annoying it is not to know numbers that parents would always realise why RSVPs are there.

I think I'm going to reinforce this with my next invitations and put the RSVP in big letters and red sparkles or something. Although I have a cunning plan to fly back to the UK so Grandma can organise the party this year, which will neatly resolve the RSVP issue anyhoo [digresses].

oxocube Tue 29-Jul-08 06:52:11

Always. Incredibly rude not to.

posieflump Tue 29-Jul-08 12:45:50

I always do too
It was noticeable at our wedding that the people who didn't rsvp were dh's friends. Dh is the same, has to be nagged to rsvp. Wonder if it is a man thing, ie just don't think...

LIZS Tue 29-Jul-08 12:46:09

yes

MrsBates Mon 04-Aug-08 11:12:35

Party was yesterday. 12 invites, 4 replies (3 saying yes and one saying no). 5 children came. Still too many for my lad who seems today to have forgotten who was here except for adult friends who came later and playing with his lego for hours. Wasted money on party bags etc, but actual party was a success since children who came were lovely and the whole thing went really well. For my daughter's party in the autumn I might put a sentence like 'It would be helpful if parents could RSVP so we can plan party bags etc' Or maybe just hire a scary nightclub bouncer to boot people out if their names aren't down.

Good luck with all your parties. If anyone finds a way of shaking up the manners of the inconsiderate crowd, do let us know!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now