Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

birthday cake

(11 Posts)
jofeb04 Mon 24-Jan-05 15:21:13

for a one year old?
Whats the best sort of cake to make? Any recipies?

SPARKLER1 Mon 24-Jan-05 15:21:35

girl or boy??

jofeb04 Mon 24-Jan-05 15:27:55

its a ds, and as hes our first, we dont have a clue what to do for him

SPARKLER1 Mon 24-Jan-05 15:30:27

I have posted this before. Df makes her own cakes. She has made a train one before using a swiss roll. Cuts it up into various size pieces and then ices over it. Decorates with smarties, dolly mixture etc. Not very good at these things personally.

HeyEnidYouveLostWeight Mon 24-Jan-05 15:32:24

I made a choc sponge with choc filling, iced it pink and covered it all over with jellybeans, dolly mixtures and little cake decoration roses, a kitsch delight!

jofeb04 Mon 24-Jan-05 15:32:43

Chears, i'll try that lol

HeyEnidYouveLostWeight Mon 24-Jan-05 15:33:25

oh sorry a 1 year old boy

well when mine were one I did: a pile of mini fairy cakes for one and a plain victoria sponge with cream and raspberries for the other.

flatmouse Mon 24-Jan-05 15:33:45

For DS 1st b'day i did a hedgehog for nursery (choc cake in pudding basin. cut in half and glue with choc butter icing other way, cover in choc icing and choc buttons cut in half - was loved by all)
Did a clown for home party - square & circle cut various ways, nice bright addititve icing and sweets!
For 2 b'day i did Thomas the tank engine, fo 3 b'day i was 38 weeks pg and having an extension built so bought a spiderman cake and for 4 B'day i did scooby doo.

For DD 1st b'day i did cute teddy face.

SoupDragon Mon 24-Jan-05 15:34:42

Delia's "all in one sponge". It's idiot proof. Make it a chocolate one with chocolate butter cream...

DS1s 1st birthday cake was a sheep. Chocolate cake as above, cud 2 curves out of the side so you get a fat 8 shape - the cut out bits become the ears. Cover in chocolate fudge icing then roll fondant icing into worms, roll the worms up into loose balls and stick on for wool at the top of the head. 2 balls of fondant icing with minstrels/brown smarties pushed in for the eyes.

Looked fab! Did a chocolate fudge cake zebra the following years which was basically the same but with cut out white stripes instead of wool.

SPARKLER1 Mon 24-Jan-05 15:35:18

Gonna try the train Jofe???

SPARKLER1 Mon 24-Jan-05 15:59:55

If so, hope it turns out okay. <<<<<runs for cover just in case>>>>>>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now