Talk

Advanced search

Birthday party's for 2 year olds

(18 Posts)
hippi Tue 18-Jan-05 14:10:47

Anybody want to help??? Please!!!!

fisil Tue 18-Jan-05 14:15:34

what help do you want? we had one this Saturday and it was great fun!

Distracted Tue 18-Jan-05 14:16:36

Is it ideas you want?

hippi Tue 18-Jan-05 14:27:06

Sorry started message and it's gone. My daughter is two beginning of next month. Only I just had a baby on 12/01/05. So b'day party was put on hold. I am now wondering that if i send out invites getting parents to drop of their toddlers at McDonalds (has a play area for them!) and buy some Happy Meals and send them home if this would suffice. Just running out of time - and house is a mess what with new arrival, and really don't fancy having to tidy up after little ones. Any ideas advice. Just feel bit guilty that dd's b'day has been overshadowed by ds's sudden arrival!

zubb Tue 18-Jan-05 14:34:45

does she know that she is having a party?
We haven't done any parties yet, and ds1 is now 3, we just have a special day out where we go somewhere that he'll really enjoy - this year we got a train to London and went to the Natural History museum, last year it was a steam train and a castle.

LIZS Tue 18-Jan-05 14:36:24

How many are you thinking of asking - 2 seems really little to be having them dropped off and a hard age for you to supervise plus they are not likely to eat a lot. I'm sure the other mums would understand and help you out.

Do you have enough room at home to have a couple around for a simple tea - nibbles and cake - and a short but contained play. Could you even meet at local park or Mums and Tots group and then just come back to yours for tea and a drink. Your dd will be happy with candles on a cake and some balloons -leave the more elaborate , and pricey, stuff for next time.

nailpolish Tue 18-Jan-05 14:37:57

anything sounds like too much hard work for you just now. whats wrong with a party just the family in the house at teatime? ie mummy daddy and baby. its all a 2 yr old would want. have a cake, watch a film, have a disco in the lounge and any 2 yr old would be delighted. i was 38 wks pg when my dd was 2, thats all we had because i was enormous and knackered. have balloons, streamers, etc. it will be great fun!

Hulababy Tue 18-Jan-05 14:42:13

This is what we did for DD's 2nd birthday last April:

DD and 3 friends (parents also my friends) went for an hour at a very quiet soft play place. Then they came back to our place - where grandparents, and her auntie and uncle were too, for a tea party and to play with toys. Freinds stayed for about an hour at our house - and then it was just family, when we opened pressies, etc. Friend's pressies were opened whilst they were there though.

Really relaxed and enjoyable all round.

Hulababy Tue 18-Jan-05 14:44:33

And at 2 I really would want parents to stay with their own child - I think it is far too young to be left TBH. I wouldn't feel comfortable having a big group of unaccompanied children, or to leave DD unaccompanied, at a party just yet - more likely to be school age for that.

hippi Tue 18-Jan-05 15:51:42

When I said dropped off I kinda though most parents would stay. Anyway there'll be (adult wise)me, dh, mum, dad, brother, mums friend, cousin, cousins bloke, my nan, my aunt, uncle. |And only thinking about inviting 6 from nursery and family kids. Just having anything at home at the moment fills me with dread. would really like not to have to tidy up. I kno what your saying about her not knowing, or needing alot for her birthday. but this is the one time i can spoil her and not have dh telling me that I shouldn't. Also want to make her feel extra special due to her having ds change things. Thought might help her relationship with ds. I don't know. Maybe i am going OTT. Thought it be nice aswell to get little 'uns out what with weather being so yuck!Use up some of their energy. So enough adults to cover about 12 kids. What do you reakon - still too much.

Hulababy Tue 18-Jan-05 15:53:30

Go for it - if you have enough adults (I'd go for oneto one if you can). I'm sure you and your DD will have a great time.

DD will be 3 in April and we are having a proper party fo rher this time

hippi Tue 18-Jan-05 15:56:28

Forgot to add my friend will be there with her dp. They'll have no choice, that why she's godmother!

hippi Tue 18-Jan-05 16:02:35

Hula baby, depending on how many children actually come - the adults might outnumber the kids! Thanks i think it'll be far less effort than having to make food, decorate the living room and tidy up.

fisil Tue 18-Jan-05 17:27:41

ds is sitting right here with me, so here is some expert feedback:

fisil: did you like having a party?
ds: yes
fisil: what was good about it?
ds: my thomas and percy (i.e. the birthday cake)

So I would say, go for the tea party idea - get a few close family/friends (only invite people who will make life easy for you), get a cake, sing happy birthday, and that's it.

DS was born on 11/1 & my birthday is end of Jan. I had some friends over for my birthday 2 1/2 weeks after he was born, just for a cup of tea & slice of cake in the afternoon, and I was exhausted!

Congratulations, by the way.

LIZS Tue 18-Jan-05 17:46:12

wow sounds like a party more for the adults than the kids ! Could you delegate the organisation and just show up !

hippi Wed 19-Jan-05 11:54:55

Lizs yeah, what with my family I won't have to do very much. Mum has already sorted party bags and i haven't invited anyone from her nursery yet! I've always bitten off more than I could chew - Fisil my dd was born 02/02/03 seventeen days before my b'day. On my b.day that year 16 of us, (me my family, freinds and dd 17 days old) went out for a chinese(at lunch time) i had a great time and didn't feel worn out. i went back to uni 3 weeks after dd was born - so holding a party 4 weeks after ds's birth should be easy by comparrison. I think I will take them to McDonalds and invite parent s to stay with kids. Only worried now that not enough time to get invites out. Thanks for all your advice.

Bozza Wed 19-Jan-05 12:00:12

Think that will work well without being too much effort. Just need to organise a cake and dress her in a nice girly dress.

hippi Wed 19-Jan-05 12:02:12

My aunt is doing the cake. Yeah i think I can manage the dress! Cheers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: