Talk

Advanced search

Presents to send to Germany.... ideas please

(10 Posts)
lilolilmanchester Mon 01-Oct-07 11:34:24

I know it's only October, but I have so much on in November and December that I am starting to think about what to buy people for Christmas. Annual headache is what to send to a family in Germany which won't cost more than the presents to send! Mum & Dad mid-40s; DD 20 and DS 18. I usually either send a small gift for each or a family present but am all out of ideas this year. In the past, have sent photo album; scarves; bop-it; linen place mats and napkins; various food items; last year I sent Oxfam unwrapped gifts. So far, have thought I might get the DD a students' cook book (she's just gone to university and does speak English). But happy to scrap that idea if I can think of a different family type present. Any ideas???? (with apologies for talking about Christmas already!)

hollyhobbie Mon 01-Oct-07 19:47:55

Are the family German? I live in Germany, but am British, so I always appreciate food and DVDs from home.

I guess you've done the Traditional British Christmas Fayre? eg: mince pies, Christmas pudding, etc?

Oooh, one thing they don't have here and our German friends LOVED was Christmas Crackers.

Hope that helps!

lilolilmanchester Mon 01-Oct-07 21:12:31

Hi Holly, they are German. I have done the Christmas pud etc in the past. Never thougth of crackers - great idea, tho I must remember to send them an email to tell them to open it ahead of any celebrations. (I included candles which spelt out "Happy Christmas" one year, but they opened their presents after all their guests had left so they kept them for the next year.) If you do have any other thoughts, please let me know. Crackers on the list!

hollyhobbie Mon 01-Oct-07 21:19:46

I'll try and notice what I'm missing and let you know if I think of anything else.
Yes, we had to give our friends specific instructions about how and when to use the crackers - I'm not sure the crap jokes will ever cross the cultural divide though!

Califright Mon 01-Oct-07 21:25:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lilolilmanchester Mon 01-Oct-07 21:31:34

Actually, was just wondering that myself Califrau. Will check with the post office.

lilolilmanchester Mon 01-Oct-07 21:31:50

oops, meant to say "thanks"!

frogs Mon 01-Oct-07 21:32:48

UK Monopoly has been a popular present with German relatives, or possibly other UK board games like Trivial Pursuit or Who Wants to be a Millionaire. Depends on how good their English is. Germans tend to go a bundle on fancy tea as well, though technically I think there may be duty to pay, as tea is very highly taxed in Germany. Very fancy chocolates from eg. Fortnums & Masons always go down well, as do products from Harrods IME.

McVities choc digestives go down well, but poss too fragile.

Nightynight Mon 01-Oct-07 21:36:50

If you are looking for something light to post, presents I have posted in the past include: gloves, slippers, leather wallet, cushions.

Amazon vouchers also useful - you can pay on German amazon with a UK credit/debit card.

lilolilmanchester Mon 01-Oct-07 21:50:20

Thanks both. We visited them in the summer and I took a big hamper of English tea/chocs/biscuits/chutney/lemon curd etc etc (sorry, should have said that in my OP)
Budget is about £25 - 30 for the presents. Thought about a board game, but the boy spends most of the time with his girlfriend and the girl is away from home at uni, so I guess a family game won't get used much. Tho they LOVED bop-it a few years ago. Also, just seen someone post under a Christmas topic, couldn't see that when I posted this...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now