Talk

Advanced search

Confession time - My name is RubyRioja and I throw satanic parties, apparantly! This is a serious in need of help thread, none of your standing up for your principles stuff from me. Oh no, I want party help!

(18 Posts)
RubyRioja Wed 12-Sep-07 09:46:53

The church hall I have booked for dd's 8th birthday celebrations has banned us from making it a 'Halloween Disco' - I thought not too adult a theme, all kids have some suitable costume, cheap cheerful and I can push the stroppy kids into a baby bath full of water and apples!

Couldn't be better huh?

But Oh, no. No satanic activities in their church hall, so I need a new theme and fast - as I need to source decorations etc before all the XMas tut is in the shops.

Any ideas on themes as I think just 'disco' may not be enough to woo all the new kids at school that dd desperately wants to invite!

Many thanks, and do let me know if you need any satanic rituals performing on your behalf.

TolpuddlapinMartyr Wed 12-Sep-07 09:49:56

Tell them that Halloween has nothing to do with Satanic activities, that it is a corruption of the phrase "All Hallows Eve", because the following day is "All Hallows Day", also known as ALL SAINTS DAY (Hallows meaning saints) which sounds pretty appropriate for a church hall.

grin

RubyRioja Wed 12-Sep-07 09:51:41

Did feel out of my depth - they are proper practising christians (unlike my half-arsed attempts!).

Pretty sure they would throw all the little witches and devils in costume out!!!!

No booze allowed either btw!

ShrinkingViolet Wed 12-Sep-07 09:53:22

make it a fancy dress disco and request no witches/skeletons? We had to do this at Brownies once as one mum didn't approve of Halloween parties.

RubyRioja Wed 12-Sep-07 09:55:33

Do you think they will like general dressing up at 8? I was not sure whether cool enough. They are juniors now you know!grin

Doodledootoo Wed 12-Sep-07 09:56:03

Message withdrawn

bobsmum Wed 12-Sep-07 09:56:11

Our church has done a Messy Games night on Halloween - so still apples, doughnuts hanging from strings, games with flour, goo, jelly etc. You could have dressing up - but not spooky stuff - had to be original and imaginative - not just a predictable witch/ghost etc.

The best game was a toilet relay - toilet seat over a bucket of diluted orange squash with playdough poo to be fished out and returned to the other end of the room - absolutely fab! (NOt for the faint hearted though - but definitely not occult).

If it's a reformed church then they won't buy into the All Hallow's Eve thing anyway because that's a Catholic festival I think.

ShrinkingViolet Wed 12-Sep-07 09:56:15

and anyway, the dressing up on Halloween was supposed to be for confusing the devil/all the demons, and surely "proper" Christians believe in the devil, and would think that confusing him would be a Good Thing? [tongue in cheek, not trying to offend proper Christians emoticon]

mummydoit Wed 12-Sep-07 09:56:29

I suppose a Harry Potter themed party is out as well, then?

Why not just call it a fancy dress disco and let them come as whatever they want? That way you don't need to 'theme' your decorations, just put up whatever you find that's cheap and cheerful.

bobsmum Wed 12-Sep-07 09:58:04

FWIW I don't like Halloween much myself either. Wooolworths were selling "flesh eating zombie" costumes last year age 3-5 - why???

RubyRioja Wed 12-Sep-07 10:07:09

I do agree re the really nasty looking stuff - we tend to get glamourous witches and little cute pumpkins! Hency buying all the decs early so they were not v scary.

I think I am stuck with venue (tied to date for DJ), plus it is really good venue with facilites and parking and is dirty cheap!

So, new plan, we can make it a High School Musical themed Disco!

SO I reckon I need
red/white decs
New soundtrack for HSM2
Red Gabriella style gown for dd1

Any further suggestions????????????

Pleasegrin

Doodle - I suspect the dead rat in DHs nether regions may have a sibling living mwith my DH. When I have exorcized that, I'll be over with my poker!

LizP Wed 12-Sep-07 10:10:03

I was going to suggest HSM as well. How about setting up some hoops for a basketball game - throwing paper balls into bins or something ?

Alambil Wed 12-Sep-07 10:22:49

you could stick with the "seasonal" stuff but make it christian-y... we do a saints n sinners type party for the kids requesting no witches or wizards - skeletons, only if they look cute - no "scream" masks etc

HSM or Grease disco?

RubyRioja Wed 12-Sep-07 10:23:47

Deffo up for HSM. All ideas for it welcome. Lots of party stuff available, but pricey, so need to make cheapo alternatives where I can!

bobsmum Wed 12-Sep-07 10:26:47

Ah you've lost me now, dd's 2 so we've not had the whole HSMm obsession.... yet grin

Doodledootoo Wed 12-Sep-07 11:35:29

Message withdrawn

magicmummy Mon 17-Sep-07 21:18:39

Poundland had packs of 8 plastic microphones for £1. Don't know if they still have them.
You could shred tissue paper and tape onto sticks/canes/batons to make cheer leader pom poms.

magicmummy Mon 17-Sep-07 21:19:52

You could make up a load of audition style forfeits and include them into some kind of game (not sure what games 8 year olds are into tho)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now