Talk

Advanced search

DD 7th party invite dilemma

(9 Posts)
Tuilipcity Fri 10-Jan-20 00:10:29

My daughter has recently joined a new school on year 2 and I am organising her birthday party. I would like to do a party at home and could invite 10 girls. This would mean not inviting 5. Do you think this would cause offence and be a mistake or ok? If I invite all the girls them I would hire a hall which I don't really want to do and she doesn't play with the others either but not sure if it would be best as we are new to the school? Any thoughts gratefully received!

OP’s posts: |
BillHadersNewWife Fri 10-Jan-20 00:41:30

Yes I think leaving just 5 girls out is divisive. If you invite 15 it's likely they won't all make it anyway. Also, 5 won't make a massive difference surely? You're not inviting parents to stay too are you?

PlaymobilPirate Fri 10-Jan-20 00:44:36

I think it's fine to invite the 10 she plays with. It's not like you're just leaving 1 out. It's her birthday and she doesn't need to please everyone.

Tuilipcity Fri 10-Jan-20 07:39:00

Thank you. I am hoping no parents stay but not sure if some may if they feel their children are a little anxious or as they don't know us well.its really tough as I don't know them well either. Ideally I would invite them all and some would decline,...perhaps if I specify drop off/pick up this would be best? Would you drop off at a house where you only loosely know the family? I would buy not sure of others? Thank you

BillHadersNewWife Fri 10-Jan-20 08:13:29

I would drop and from what I've read on MN the majority would. There may be a few who would stay. Just offer the ones who stay tea or coffee and cake. Sit them down somewhere and leave them to it.

cheeseandpineapple Fri 10-Jan-20 08:18:52

I’d invite them all or less than 10. As it’s her first year, I’d be inclined to go for all of them and next year can make it just her closest friends. It’s still early days for forming friendships so I’d keep it open and it’s also a good way for you to get to know all the parents as well. If you want people to drop off, specify drop off and pick up times in the invite that should help avoid people staying with siblings if you don’t have the space.

Tuilipcity Fri 10-Jan-20 08:57:03

Thank you. Glad to hear you think specifying drop off would be ok. I would like to keep it open and invite them all if possible just have a vision of lots of parents and siblings as well which we don't have space for at all!

Lolo12091 Wed 22-Jan-20 20:00:39

I would say invite them all. From personal experience usually 1/3 don’t come. My daughters most recent party I invited 38 (8 were family) and only 18 came! So I would invite them all. If all 15 come you’re VERY unlucky lol.

PegasusReturns Wed 22-Jan-20 20:04:20

Definitely invite them all.

There was a new (also year 2) starter in DDs school a couple of years ago whose birthday was shortly after she arrived.

Up until then every party had been a whole class party. She invited a select few - the fall out is still discussed in hushed tones shock

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »