Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what have you done for your parents big birthdays - e.g. 70th?

(7 Posts)
BBBee Fri 17-Aug-07 14:00:55

my dad;s is coming up and he doesn't want a fuss but he likes Indian food. I need ideas.

tell me what you did.

Sazisi Fri 17-Aug-07 14:07:09

My dad just turned 60 (well, in May actually!) and I was thinking about organising a big party for him, but decided against in the end, because he's shy and hates a fuss being made of him
In the end we brought him out for a nice dinner with just the immediate family, and got him an extra special present (a camera)

ChippyMinton Fri 17-Aug-07 14:09:43

We have done surprise parties at home. A lot of work involved though.

How about inviting people round and ordering in an Indian Banquet from your local restaurant for the catering?

Hulababy Fri 17-Aug-07 14:10:51

When MIL turned 60 e, DH and DD suprised her with a weekend away to Dublin. FIL was in on it too. We got local flights, booked the hotel, arranged for her to have the day off work, etc. FIL made sure everything was sorted and that they had no other plans that weekend. We arranged to come and stay over for the night the night before, under pretence of celebrating birthday wth a drink. Night before we gave her her birthday card - inside was a new passport/money holiday, and inside that the tickets.

For FIL's 60th year after we, along with BIl/SIL, paid for PILs to go to London's Vinapolis (wine museum.tasting place) for a tasing sesson and meal.

babygrand Fri 17-Aug-07 14:16:10

My dad will be 70 in January and we're trying to think what to do for him too. One possibility is a big skiing trip with all the grandchildren. Will be lurking for further ideas though!

Toothyboy Fri 17-Aug-07 20:53:21

My dad's 60th fell on a Bank Holiday Monday, several years ago. He organised a meal at his local Indian restaurant after their lunchtime opening - about 2pm I think, so it was closed to the public. They provided a basic set menu so it didn't get too complicated. There were about 20 family members and close friends; we had a lovely time

mummydoit Fri 17-Aug-07 21:34:55

For MIL's 70th the whole family went on a day trip together. Great fun!

If you're looking for a special gift idea, my favourite is a hamper of presents. I've done 40 small, individually wrapped gifts for a 40th birthdays and a hamper of gold-themed gifts for a Golden Wedding (All Gold chocolates, Gold Blend coffee, etc). You might need to club together with other family members to get 70 presents but it's always gone down well when I've done it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now