Talk

Advanced search

Oh help, I've just realised that the 'handful' of friends for DS's Baptism is actually 30 (including children)

(16 Posts)
LowFatPumpkinJuice Tue 14-Aug-07 16:04:52

And the two trays of pizza and some chicken nuggets and croisants from Costco are nowhere near going to feed them.

Any cheap and easy ideas please for food and drink for about 22 adults and n8 children!

The Baptism is 3pm on a Saturday afternoon (very accomodating Minister). But I'll onlyhave about 90 minutes of help from DH or anyone else so I need easy to do stuff either before or when we get back, bearing in mind before I will also be watching my DC's on my own as well.

I've only invited a handful of people, but it's added up so quickly.

LowFatPumpkinJuice Tue 14-Aug-07 17:46:56

BUMP!!!

MaureenMLove Tue 14-Aug-07 17:54:04

Can you make up some salads to bulk it out a bit?

MaureenMLove Tue 14-Aug-07 17:55:53

If you like the salad idea, you could make a rice salad or pasta salad on Friday and just buy someofthose bags of ready done green salads to throw in a bowl when you get back.

Pixiefish Tue 14-Aug-07 17:57:27

make some pasta salad. Pasta twists and sweetcorn. Put some mayo on just before you put it our.
Sarnies, sausage rolls, new potatoes

Saturn74 Tue 14-Aug-07 17:57:49

Baked potatoes are cheap and filling.
especially if weather not sunny.
get beans, cheese, etc.
Or make a big chilli / spag bol.

Ice lollies for the children.
Make a big trifle and a fruit salad for the adults.

LowFatPumpkinJuice Tue 14-Aug-07 20:37:24

Thanks everyone - hd completely forgotten about the ease of a rice and pasta salad.

Am also going to be baking a lot of baby potatoes as larger ones require space to sit to cut and eat, where as little ones can be eaten whole.

Cammelia Tue 14-Aug-07 20:42:20

You'd better pray for good weather with that number of people

Hope it goes well

MaureenMLove Tue 14-Aug-07 21:59:18

Jolly good. I do love it when a thread has closure! Have fun. The outlook for Saturday is OK btw.

scienceteacher Tue 14-Aug-07 22:02:19

Fantastic that so many people are coming

Rachmumoftwo Tue 14-Aug-07 22:15:06

I always do raw veg and dips, with a few bowls of tortilla chips. Looks like loads of food but doesn't cost too much. Have a fab time.

LowFatPumpkinJuice Wed 15-Aug-07 17:13:06

I know this Saturday looks good, but it's actually the Bank Holiday weekend! And we all know about bank Holiday Weather

I counted up the number of hours I have to get the house as clear, clean and tidy as possible before the celebtration, and it's actually about 5!!! DH has been enrolled on this task to run things up into the loft rubbish to the tip. And DD is aware that any broken toys are being thrown away and her bedroom needs tidying as she will be entertaining her friends in their if it rains ! It's silly really because all these people have seen my house and know the chasos it can sometimes be in. But having them all there together and I might as well have invited the royal family for the way I feel.

TheGoddessBlossom Tue 21-Aug-07 07:01:09

Hey Pumpki Juice - this is me! We've got S2's baptism on Sunday then all back here, about 30 people plus kids, please god the sun is shining....

I am doing:

sausage rolls
pizzas
crisps/nuts etc
crudite and dips
garlic bread (always goes down well)
nibbly type things like mini cornish pasties etc
big gateaux
christening cake
big bowl of strawbs and cream
choc brownies

Soft drink/wine and beer

Will be buying most of the food from Lidl (all of it ) so keeping costs down that way, their gateaux are lovely, and do great nibbly bits

Am hiring some glasses but have bought paper plate and paper napkins

Was starting to panic quite alot but made a list last night and mapped it against the blocks of spare time I have ths week (two with two small kids!) feeling a bit better about things...

Good luck! Report back here?

Bloss

xx

TheGoddessBlossom Tue 21-Aug-07 07:01:51

that should read DS2

LowFat Thu 23-Aug-07 17:50:55

Hey Bloss - I missed your response on this, thanks for the ideas!

I have got the chips and dips and crudities
And on Saturday morning before the Baptism I'm getting a tray of scones, and croissants and two huge pizzas from Costco, as well as chicken nuggets - if I can find them and the cake.

For drinks it will be ltea, coffe, lemonade or squash. Most people have to drive home anyway.

I dont drive so am relying on a friend to take me to Costco - she, like DH is a food snob and refuses to go to Lidl or Aldi - despite me saying there is no difference in quality of food, but an awful lot in price - oh well, we love our friends and husbands because they're different dont we.

For the children (about 10) I've bought an assortment of small chocolates and sweets, as being quite in a church for 30 minutes will deserve a sugary reward (and only one of them will be in my house after the event )

TheGoddessBlossom Fri 31-Aug-07 10:01:48

ALL the food went! Couldn't beelive it, usually have loads left after things like that. And as usual had loads of booze left, what was I thinking, always assume everyone else is an old lush like me grin

Had a great day hope you did.

Bloss

x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now