Talk

Advanced search

Any thoughts on this party idea?

(17 Posts)
FuriousGeorge Sun 05-Aug-07 22:48:35

DD1 will be 4 at the end of August & has never had a party as such.Our house isn't large & our garden on a steep slope,so not ideal for large numbers of 3 year old & unders.Therefore,I'd rather not do it at home.

However,we do have a field about half a mile from the house,with a brook running through it.There is a little ford that is shallow enough to paddle in,plus a bridge over it for the older ones.My idea was to supply everyone with a fishing net & bucket,provide a picnic & leave them to get muddy ect.

Obviously this won't work if it rains,but do you think it is a good idea?All the mums will be there too,as none of the guests will be over 5.If your child was invited to something like this would you think it would be good fun,or be inclined to think 'oh no,wet,muddy clothes'?

As you can tell.I'm rubbish at this party lark,but don't see that I can avoid it much longer,as dd1 goes to school the day afrer her birthday.

Tortington Sun 05-Aug-07 22:49:58

i can't see anyone being able to relax and have any fun for fear of drowning. sorry

lilolilmanchester Sun 05-Aug-07 22:53:28

I think if each child had a parent there, it would be no different to taking their own child paddling on holiday. So go for it, but make sure that the parents stay - in fact I'd make it a condition of acceptance - , otherwise as Custardo says, you won't be able to relax. But I think it sounds like a lovely idea.

cat64 Sun 05-Aug-07 23:33:23

Message withdrawn

cat64 Sun 05-Aug-07 23:34:04

Message withdrawn

FrannyandZooey Sun 05-Aug-07 23:34:40

OMG can we come? Ds is 4. He would be IN HEAVEN

FrannyandZooey Sun 05-Aug-07 23:35:53

I think the idea of people being too scared to let their children play in a brook, with adults supervising, is quite depressing

Tinker Sun 05-Aug-07 23:36:05

Lovely idea but, no, can just see pitfalls. And I wouldn't be worried at all about clothes

frapachino Sun 05-Aug-07 23:38:57

accident waiting to happen - if you do go ahead then invite st. johns

BadHair Sun 05-Aug-07 23:38:58

I would love it - a paddling party! If you put the picnic a good way from the stream and get someone to man the ford and bridge at all times (an extra family member would be be easier than organising a rota of parents on the day) you'll be fine.
Do it and have fun!

brimfull Mon 06-Aug-07 00:03:38

lovely idea, but I would limit the number of children to 5-6.

my ds would love this

nappyaddict Mon 06-Aug-07 02:16:47

good idea but only if the parent can come and expect to have to have some siblings come too.

lionheart Mon 06-Aug-07 09:49:02

My DS would be in heaven and I would be . It sounds fab.

filthymindedvixen Mon 06-Aug-07 10:12:15

think it sounds fabulous, we do this most weekends anyway and it's always more fun if there are other kids too. You might get a few parents being snitty but...their loss.

filthymindedvixen Mon 06-Aug-07 10:13:38

yeah, I'd say older siblings should be positively encouraged - I rely on my 10-yr-old to rouse me from my book if the younger one is pratting about..

MaloryTowersHasManners Mon 06-Aug-07 10:14:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FuriousGeorge Mon 06-Aug-07 21:36:12

Thanks for the input & advice.I've decided to go for a picnic on the cricket pitch opposite our house instead,because several of the mothers will have 2 under 4 year olds to keep an eye on & it wouldn't be very relaxing for them.

There is a brook & a rope swing at the cricket pitch,but it is fenced off-so anyone who wants to let their child get wet & muddy can do so.We go down there a couple of times a week & the dd's love it.

I haven't given up on the paddling party though.If the weather holds,I may just invite a few of dd's friends down there with their mums for an informal picnic.I'll only invite 4 friends though,so we can keep an eye on everyone!

If anyone ever finds themselves in Leicestershire,with small children & wellies,let me know-we could hold a MN paddling party.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: