Talk

Advanced search

Toddler treasure hunt

(6 Posts)
boo64 Sun 24-Jun-07 13:35:58

We want to do a treasure hunt at ds's 2nd birthday next week. I have some stuff that can be treasure and we have lots of room to do it in the garden (weather permitting ha ha - it's always raining these days!)

Any tips on how this could work for a bunch of 2 to 4 year olds - we would presumably need a parent to do it with each child or it would descend into even more chaos as toddlers climb through the bushes etc.

Desiderata Sun 24-Jun-07 13:57:00

No experience, boo, but here's a bump for you.

wheresthehamster Sun 24-Jun-07 14:27:34

I think you need all the children to work as a group (hopefully you haven't more than about 10 children!). Divide your area into 4 or 5 areas and make a clue up for each area.

Hide a character toy in each area holding the next clue.

Read the first clue e.g. I live in the hundred acre wood and my friends are Tigger and Piglet. I am hiding over by the fence. I am holding the next clue to the treasure.

Make the last clue a bit more cryptic e.g. I am moving around. I am high up looking down on you. I have the treasure!! The treasure could be hidden on DH and they all have to chase him to get it.

Something like this has worked for us but make sure no one spots a clue out of order otherwise chaos prevails

boo64 Sun 24-Jun-07 15:17:42

Great idea but I wonder if it will be a bit too complicated/ cryptic for a load of mainly 2 year olds?

daisycat01 Thu 05-Jul-07 22:20:22

I did a treasure hunt last year for DS, I did pictures on each clue. FOr example the first clue was a picture of a rabbit, so the kids all ran over to the rabbit hutch where they found a picture of a garden shed, so they ran to the shed etc

ChasingSquirrels Thu 05-Jul-07 22:25:11

i did one for ds 4th, I put pictures aswell - swing, trampoline, flower pot etc, had their name on one half of the clue and the picture on the other, but this was so they all went to different places at different times, with younger ones just have the trail laid out the same for all of them. i think younger ones need an adult, if you go with pics then 4yo's can do on their own, but with adults making sure they dont look lost.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now