Talk

Advanced search

Help - seasoned children's party goers advice needed.

(6 Posts)
moodlumthehoodlum Mon 18-Jun-07 16:34:49

Great news - dd has just received her first proper party invitation at her new nursery (admittedly I''m not entirely sure who the kind person is who invited her, but its good news all the same)!

Whenever she's been to birthday parties before we've known the people really well, but this is her first foray into the social whirl of school parties, so what do I have to do?

a) how much do you think is a reasonable amount to spend on a present for a child you don't know?? (its a four year old and has a name that could be boy or girl so not entirely helpful in me identifying who it is!!)

b)do you think it is OK to bring ds (2) - I can't not bring him obviously?

Help please?!

Bink Mon 18-Jun-07 17:01:14

a) £5 is sure to be enough - if it's the whole nursery class the hosts'll be hoping for little presents!

b) it's considered the done thing to ask if it's OK to bring sibling (and the done thing for the hostess to say yes - unless party's at a pay-per-head place, in which case she may not be able to say yes (or you should make clear you will pay for sibling)).

Enid Mon 18-Jun-07 17:03:19

agree with bink

although I do £6 (books or jigsaw for a 3 or 4 yar old )

mummydoit Mon 18-Jun-07 17:04:14

I'd also say £5 is enough. If you're not sure of the sex of the child, buy a book or crayons/paints/play-doh. I like to give the receipt for books to the parent in case they already have it. If parents are staying for the party, I'd expect younger siblings too but you should mention it to the hostess out of politeness.

moodlumthehoodlum Mon 18-Jun-07 17:09:20

Brilliant thanks - that's confirmed what I thought. Its a social minefield isn't it? The party is at a little farm place near us, so it might be a pay per place but I'll ring the hostess and see if we can work something out.

Great - thank you ladies!

maisemor Wed 20-Jun-07 13:52:56

Regarding the present we sometimes ask down at the nursery what that child likes to play with, and they always have lots of ideas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now