Talk

Advanced search

1st birthday

(6 Posts)
sophiec123 Wed 19-Sep-18 22:42:25

For my first child so I have 0 experience/ideas on what to do for a babies first birthday. I know I want to do some cake smash photos but want to try and get organised. My partner constantly says "oh she won't remember it" etc and I fully understand what he's saying but I want to do something to celebrate

Any ideas?

OP’s posts: |
AjasLipstick Wed 19-Sep-18 22:51:27

I remember I went to a beautiful toy shop and got my DD one of the very nice Peter Rabbit soft toy range...and then added to it for a few years so she had a nice collection.

That and a tea party at home for family. That's what I did and it was lovely.

GimbleInTheWabe Wed 19-Sep-18 23:11:20

DS also turns one soon. We're just having a get together in a hired pub room for close family and friends and I'm making some food. Would've done it at home but we live in a small flat.

Your DP is correct, your LO won't know it's a party for them. But they will be surrounded by people who love them and all the people who have supported and helped you the past year. That's how I see it anyway. Kind of a 'thank you for helping us get through the last year!' party.

If I'm honest I find the whole cake smash thing a little 'staged cuteness' for my liking and it's pretty done as a concept now. Knowing my DS he'd just crawl off in the other direction and wouldn't pay any attention to the cake and then it would just seem like an anticlimax. I'm making a cake but not for him to smush up! Plus can you think of the clear up?!

I think something family and friend oriented is the best way to go. I'm sure there are many years ahead of themed birthday parties that will cost a lot more!

sophiec123 Wed 19-Sep-18 23:48:25

@AjasLipstick aww that sounds like a good idea! Like a keepsake?

@GimbleInTheWabe yeah I want to do something for the occasion but on a budget, no need to spend money when it won't be remembered. I thought the exact same about cake smash and if I'm honest didn't really "get it" until I had my daughter, it is just for the cute photos!

OP’s posts: |
Ricekrispie22 Thu 20-Sep-18 17:44:06

We had a coffee and a piece of cake in a paint-your-own ceramics cafe. We put my DD's hand print on a plate and then everybody who was there (grandparents, aunts, uncles and godparents) signed the outside of the plate. We got it fired and have it as a nice keepsake. I didn't have to do any cooking and we just sat and chatted for most of the time while DD slept or played with toys in the corner.

SpikyCactus Thu 20-Sep-18 17:59:20

We’re planning a family tea party at home. I’ve been looking at tshirts on Etsy that say “One whole year of awesome” and I think it would be cute for a photo.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »