Talk

Advanced search

First birthday party - buffet, nibbles, or sod all for being awkward?

(5 Posts)
KittyB52 Sat 03-Mar-18 19:52:58

I decided I wanted to celebrate DD’s 1st birthday as we waited a looong time for her arrival and she’s likely to be our only child. However, I wanted to keep it informal (and ‘reasonably priced’ wink) and just for close friends and family. So I have invited people round to our house after lunch on her birthday for cake and ‘nibbles’ (yes, I know - sorry).

My parents have decided to come round earlier to help me get things ready and to get some ‘quality time’ with DD before people arrive. Now my BIL is coming before lunch as “there’s a match on” in the afternoon.hmm Once my SIL gets wind of this, I know she will want to come round early too.

Should I admit defeat and tell everyone to arrive early and do a more substantial buffet? Or can I still get away with just putting out a light buffet later on as planned? I mean, it’s not my fault if half the party turns up unfashionably early, right? grin

OP’s posts: |
LimonViola Sat 03-Mar-18 20:05:07

Nope just put your light buffet out as planned and don't let anyone touch it until everyone is there and ready to eat.

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Sat 03-Mar-18 20:14:06

A massive bottle of vodka, plenty of mixers.

You're welcome.

KittyB52 Sat 03-Mar-18 20:24:01

A massive bottle of vodka, plenty of mixers.
grin I am on painkillers for a bad back, so can’t drink. I am seriously considering starting to wean myself off them so I can have a drink at the party.

OP’s posts: |
Aprilmightmemynewname Sat 03-Mar-18 20:25:04

Delegate each relative to bring a dish. ...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »