Talk

Advanced search

Birthday party games/ entertainment / themes/ Ideas ( HELP !)

(5 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

pickyourselfupandtryagain Thu 02-Nov-17 19:42:25

Hello all,

DS, soon to be 8, will be having a pool party in mid December (the pool will be heated !). I will be inviting all of his classmates as DS just moved to this new school. Plus it will be a perfect opportunity to know the classmates/ parents a bit better.

Can anyone suggest any games, while in the pool ? DS is fine with just balls, inflatable floats and water pistols. But I'm a bit worried the kids may soon become bored (the pool session is for an hour). However the pool has a slide, so this may keep the kid entertained for a bit longer.

We also have a room hired out, for an hour, and I seriously don't know what to do ! My friend suggested I could hire a bubble machine and get some coloured lights..creating a disco atmosphere. But I don't think that will keep the kids entertained for an hour. Can anyone suggest any sort of entertainment/ age appropriate (pool themed) party games for 8 year olds..

Thank you smile)

pickyourselfupandtryagain Thu 02-Nov-17 19:42:54

*whilst in the pool

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 03-Nov-17 12:21:16

We're just sending this over to the parties topic so that the OP can get some suggestions!

Ricekrispie22 Sat 04-Nov-17 16:13:26

Ideas for entertainment out of the pool:
The good old chocolate game.... sit in circle, take turns to roll a dice, if you roll a 6 you put on hat, scarf and gloves and use knife and fork to eat individual chunks from a choc bar on a plate until next person rolls a 6.
Wink murder
Who's hidden? Send one player out of room. Choose another child to be hidden under a blanket. Child comes back into room and has 3 guesses to name the child that is under the blanket.
Blindfold shoe shuffle - Each person puts on a blindfold and takes off their shoes. They then throw them into a pile in the middle of the floor. The referee then jumbles them all up and then shouts GO! The first person to find their shoes by touch and smell alone and put them on is the winner.

Ricekrispie22 Sat 04-Nov-17 16:14:33

Ideas for entertainment whilst in the pool:
Take an empty clear 2 literplastic bottle. One with a white cap, or the same coloras your pool tiles is also a good idea. Fill the bottle with pool water and line the players up on the pool deck, backs to the water. When they hear the splash they can turn around and try to find it. It’s harder than it seems as the bottle camouflages to the bottom.
Just as it is fun to collect things that sink to the bottom, you can do the same with things that float. Ping pong balls make a great floating thing to catch since they’re light and hard to see. You can put numbers on them for point values, initials on them where players need to find just their own, etc. The more you toss into the pool the more fun it is.
Bull dog. Players try to get from one side of the pool to the other without getting tagged by “It.” When “It” tags a player, they join them in the middle and hold hands. Subsequent players join in as well until you have a long line (an octopus) in the middle. Play until 1 is left, and then start again.
Wet T-shirt relay. This game starts out like any other relay race. Two teams are created, and half of each team lines up on opposite ends of the pool. The starting player for each team is given a soaking wet T-shirt. The players put the T-shirt on, completely — then jump in, swim across the pool, climb out, take off the shirt and hand it to the next player on the team. The first team to get everyone across the pool in the T-shirt wins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now