Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Party in the woods - no toilet

(19 Posts)
wejammin Mon 03-Jul-17 12:51:16

My daughter is going to be 3 at the end of July. She goes to forest school once a week and it is her absolute favourite thing. I told her she can have her first ever birthday party this year and she wants it "like forest school". There is a woodland near us with a great little clearing surrounded by trees which would be perfect, and I think it could look beautiful decorated with ribbons. I've got a few activities planned and will do some picnic boxes. It will be 2 hours long.

She wants to invite 5 children her age (plus parents), and my DS (5) will have 2 friends, plus 2 aunties, 1 cousin, 4 grandparents and 1 great Grandma.

My big worry is that there is no toilet in the woods. There is a shopping centre and a McDonald's, but they are both a 2 min drive or a 10 min walk away.

My kids will happily 'go' in the woods, but I know not everyone will, including adults.

Would you still do the party or do something else? I can't afford a hired venue or entertainer so the alternative is just family in our small terrace, which is not very exciting.

WindwardCircle Mon 03-Jul-17 12:56:45

Could you do something like your original idea but in a park? Then at least there would be toilets near by.

DancesWithOtters Mon 03-Jul-17 12:56:51

Hmm. I think you need a toilet. How long will the party last? Portable toilet?

muminboots Mon 03-Jul-17 12:58:48

Go for it in the woods, it will be wonderful. We did something similar for my daughter's fourth birthday.

We're not in UK so maybe it's different here, but last week my DS's kindergarten end of term party was in the forest, no toilets, many many parents and children. No one batted an eyelids about nipping off behind the bushes.

JamieFraserskneewarmer Mon 03-Jul-17 13:00:33

Human faeces in woodland isn't very pleasant so I would make arrangements to provide some sort of facilities. Do you have any friends that camp who could lend you a camping loo and tent - or maybe try your local Scouts (we use them for camp)? If not, a basic camping loo and tent will set you back about £45 which is nowhere near as expensive as hiring a venue (and can be sold/kept for future use afterwards)

InDubiousBattle Mon 03-Jul-17 13:00:35

I think it's fine as long as you tell people so they can go before they arrive. Surely most adults can go 2 hours without a toilet? 2 mi items drive isn't so bad if someone really can't hang on.

wejammin Mon 03-Jul-17 13:03:27

It's a 2 hour party. When I spoke to nursery they said they do 2 hours with no toilet on their forest site, they take the children before they go and take a portapotty with them.

There is a local park but it doesn't have toilets (well it does but they're never open) and it's very exposed, just open grass, so wouldn't be like forest school.

I suppose DH could offer to do toilet runs for anyone that need to go, the public loos are 2 mins in the car.

wejammin Mon 03-Jul-17 13:05:22

@muminboots great, I'm glad I'm not crazy for thinking about this! What kind of activities did you do?

JennyOnAPlate Mon 03-Jul-17 13:07:15

I wouldn't sorry. Children + food + drink = all of them needing the loo at some point!

TinselTwins Mon 03-Jul-17 13:10:11

Can't you set up somewhere where there are toilets in walking distance?

There is a middle ground here, you can do a "forest" party and be nearer facilities. It doesn't have to be that one site that you think would be pretty with ribbons for her to enjoy it!

wejammin Mon 03-Jul-17 14:01:56

Hmmmm, there's no other woodland near here. I'm in a city. Everywhere else would be a drive for everyone including us. Maybe I'll need a rethink?

FreakinDeacon Mon 03-Jul-17 14:05:27

I think a camping loo as suggested by a PP is a good idea.

As a child I had a bit of a phobia of not being near a toilet (and still do to an extent). If I knew there was a loo
I hardly ever needed to go but the thought of not being able to would induce the need IYSWIM.

Blossomdeary Mon 03-Jul-17 14:07:31

Take a SheeWee.

OutandIntoday Mon 03-Jul-17 14:08:15

Do you have a country park/ estate/ nt garden nearby? Most would have facilities handy- we often drive 30 mins or so for parties so they don't need to be on your doorstep.

littleducks Mon 03-Jul-17 14:11:32

I went to forest school party last autumn. Approx 2 hours long. Similar time away to toilet. Not much food served though just hot chocolate and biscuits at beginning (snack bags at end so could wash hands before eating).

They took a potty as back up (told us on arrival) but nobody used it. I took mine before we went.

StarHeartDiamond Mon 03-Jul-17 14:12:44

What about hand washing though?

Squishedstrawberry4 Mon 03-Jul-17 14:35:30

Hand washing = gel hand wash.

We do lots of long isolated woodland walks and go behind bushes. Maybe take a portable potty for the little ones if you absolutely must - or a bucket and some sawdust. Surely the adults can nip off and sort themselves out. As long as you explain there's no loo facilities to hand it will be fine.

wejammin Mon 03-Jul-17 14:35:55

I was going to do clay faces on the trees so was planning on a washbasin for soapy water anyway, we've done that before. Also sanitising gel? At a place we go to with a compost loo they just have that, no sinks.

Rosehips Tue 04-Jul-17 11:24:31

I've been to forest school events with my 3 year old and they had a camping toilet in a tent, like this www.amazon.co.uk/LIVIVO-Portable-Dressing-Changing-Festivals/dp/B071ZPV5XK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1499163660&sr=8-3&keywords=toilet+tent&tag=mumsnetforum-21
Which with a small bladdered 3 year old and heavily pregnant me was very much needed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now