Talk

Advanced search

Pirates & Princesses party - girl pirate?

(17 Posts)
ManVsPink Sun 21-May-17 07:16:46

5yo has been invited to a classmate's Pirates & Princesses party. The invite specifically asks her to dress as a princess (boys had the same for pirate). But my daughter is adamant she wants to go as a pirate.

I totally support this, but if you were one of the host parents, would you be annoyed if a child attending did this?

OP’s posts: |
RNBrie Sun 21-May-17 07:22:38

Nope. Go as a pirate. (we have this exact same situation today too except they are turning 6!! My dd is going as a pirate.)

Janek Sun 21-May-17 07:23:47

My dd went to a si ilar party as a pirate - i don't think it occurred to her she could be a princess (stealth boast!!!).

Gizlotsmum Sun 21-May-17 07:23:53

Nope. Never had one with gender specific invites. Would just be happy that she came in whatever she wanted

ANiceSliceOfCake Sun 21-May-17 07:24:02

I'd send her in what ever she wanted, she could be a princess pirate! If the hosts parents are even the slightest bit annoyed they'd need to give their heads a good wobble!

MaisyPops Sun 21-May-17 07:25:05

Nope. Go pirate.

I really think they'll be happy she's there having fun.

Anyone who is more bothered by the fancy dress choice of a child because it's from the 'wrong part of their theme' is just ridiculous.

coolaschmoola Sun 21-May-17 07:29:32

DD went to a pirate and princess party as a pirate.

OctopusArmEnvy Sun 21-May-17 07:32:28

We had a pirate and princess party for my eldest when he was 4. Not only did we have a few girl pirates we also had several batmans and a ninja turtle. Nobody batted an eyelid and the kids all had a great time.

MissRainbowBrite Sun 21-May-17 07:33:32

My DD had one of these invites. She put on her best party frock and accessorised with a pirate hat and pirate sword as she wanted to be both.
I'd say let her go as a pirate

Ecureuil Sun 21-May-17 07:35:58

I really doubt they'll be bothered. We went to a pirate and princesses party and there were about 25 pirates and 2 princesses. Pirates are much more fun to dress as!

UntilTheCowsComeHome Sun 21-May-17 07:41:18

My DS went to one when he was about 5. He went as a prince because "pirates are naughty" grin

ManVsPink Sun 21-May-17 07:42:59

Thanks all. I was always going to let her go as a pirate if she wanted - but I'm just hoping the hosts aren't to p***ed off, given they specified girls as princesses, boys as pirates (which was v.weird tbh)

BikeRunSki Sun 21-May-17 08:05:58

DD (5) has never been into the whole princess thing. Has been to many parties as a pirate, regardless of the theme.

stinkingbishop Sun 21-May-17 08:11:44

We had a pirate and princess party for our DTDs - they both wanted to be princesses, and only allowed pirates on the invite too after much persuasion. Until about 5 minutes before the party itself when DTD2 decided she actually wanted to be a pirate herself...so no, really doubt they'll be annoyed. And if they are, you're right to annoy them! Pirate girls are derring do!

unicorn5629 Sun 21-May-17 09:09:42

I'm totally 100% behind girls dressing as pirates and think she should do it !
It's a shame the invites were so gender stereotyped and with that in mind would the parents be likely to have done gender themed activities and party bags ? All I'd do is say my lg is going to be a pirate thank you please to sew the seed that they might need to make one more pirate place and one less
Princess...

Hope she has a good time !! smile

ManVsPink Sun 21-May-17 18:47:06

FYI - host parents didn't seem to care, and daughter was getting compliments all afternoon from parents about how awesome she looked as a pirate smile

TheOriginalAngel Sun 21-May-17 20:53:30

My Son went as a Princess. Let them go as whatever they want.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »