Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Army party

(36 Posts)
Changebagsandgladrags Thu 04-May-17 17:28:47

DS really wants an army themed party. We are not military at all.

So, my idea revolves around an assault course in the back garden:

through a tunnel, under a tarpaulin, round some cones and shooting a Nerf gun from a hide-out to knock over some cans.

It sounds a bit lame to me, but I intend dressing the garden up in some camo stuff to at least make it look passable.

What else can I do?

CainDinglesLeatherJacket Thu 04-May-17 17:32:11

Is there anything you could use as pretend face paint to camouflage their faces? Or a game similar to 'Simon says' but using simple army-inspired activities, like marching on the spot or standing to attention?

originalbiglymavis Thu 04-May-17 17:34:10

How old is he?

MaroonPencil Thu 04-May-17 17:36:48

There are some great "adventure kits" available, I think the company is called My Adventure Kit, if you are looking for a gift - there is a specific army one, or other ones as well, and they come with things like camo net, tarp, facepaint, binoculars, walkie talkies, "bomb bags", tent pegs etc. Got DS one for Xmas and he loves it.

iklboo Thu 04-May-17 17:38:05

Ooh was coming to suggest Simon Says - but Sergeant Says.

Medals as prizes. Home Bargains, £1 shop etc sell them as party bag fillers.

Changebagsandgladrags Thu 04-May-17 17:38:30

He'll be 7, and the kids will be aged 5 to 7

Camo face paint = excellent, also the marching because we could have marching songs!

I don't want anything too...er...war like.

Changebagsandgladrags Thu 04-May-17 17:40:01

Sergeant Says, fantastic grin

MaroonPencil Thu 04-May-17 17:40:50

You could serve the food in mess tins and call it the Mess Tent or something. Hunt the toy soldiers? There's lots on Pinterest uk.pinterest.com/explore/army-party-themes/

Blueflowers2011 Thu 04-May-17 21:00:16

Edible cupcake army toppers
Toy soldier/tank toys to go on icing on cupcakes
(search ebay for both)

Buckets aligned in rows of two with a long item on top (foam, rope if you have, something else?!) and used in the assault course to jump over (think crufts!).

Hoops currently sold in Poundshop - you can set them up on the floor for the boys to step in and out as fast as they can or try and set them up standing up somehow and they can run through them.

Decorate areas with army men, hanging on string, around the food table, plates, jelly...the list goes on.

Pin the medal on the soldier

Camoflage party box (amazon)

BertrandRussell Thu 04-May-17 21:02:15

Bear in mind that there are some parents who would not want their child to go to an army party.

Hulababy Thu 04-May-17 21:06:41

Maybe call it an Adventure, Camouflage or a Nerf party, incase some parents don't like the idea of an Army party.

Busybee233 Thu 04-May-17 21:10:17

Maybe do a relay

Mermaidbutmytailfelloff Thu 04-May-17 21:13:18

We did a cowboy party and ended up with a shoot out - using water pistols, which became their going home present. We warned parents that the DC would be going home wet. It was a great party!

BertrandRussell Thu 04-May-17 21:13:58

Also "You've got kangaroos in the top paddock"

newtlover Thu 04-May-17 21:14:19

yes, if my ds had been invited to an army party I would have been v unhappy and would probably have discovered he had a prior engagement.

BertrandRussell Thu 04-May-17 21:14:25

Oops- wrong thread!

junebirthdaygirl Thu 04-May-17 21:47:54

My ds 22 would have absolutely loved that at that age. Im jealous l didnt do it for him. He didnt grow up violent or agressive. Volunteers with special needs children and is as gentle as a lamb.. An army party wont harm your child. Of course if someone close to you has been affected by war thats different.

EduCated Thu 04-May-17 21:52:09

Give everyone a toy soldier. Every time you blow a whistle/stop the music, they have to do the pose of their toy soldier.

Last played on a hen do blush

BertrandRussell Fri 05-May-17 08:02:49

"An army party wont harm your child"

Of course it won't. Some people would just prefer their child not to attend one.

Changebagsandgladrags Fri 05-May-17 11:25:18

Hmmm, slightly worried now because I sent the invites out this morning before reading the concerns shock

But I have lots of ideas that I would never have come up with in a million years smile

user1491572121 Fri 05-May-17 11:26:22

I am another Mother who would be hmm about the theme. It's not something that should be celebrated. War is terrible and soliders kill people.

Changebagsandgladrags Fri 05-May-17 12:02:27

It's more 'It's a knockout' than army. There's nothing combat in it. Hey-ho it's done now. I'll have to speak to the parents and clarify.

MaroonPencil Fri 05-May-17 14:47:32

Well I wouldn't mind the theme. We do live in an army town though.

Blueflowers2011 Fri 05-May-17 15:09:55

I dont like anything much to do with war and the army, however would have no problem with receiving an Army themed party. Sounds fun and kids would love all the activities, I really wouldnt overthink your theme.

Just loosely base it around the army theme. . They can complete all the circuit activities. If you are going to be outside you can create 'ammunition' made of paper plates and squirt cream... once they finish the last circuit they can get splatted. Then they can do it do each other. It's a kids party, they will have fun.

originalbiglymavis Fri 05-May-17 16:06:06

An assault course would be fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now