Talk

Advanced search

How much/ what food for teenage BBQ?

(8 Posts)
LynetteScavo Sat 22-Apr-17 07:35:32

DS2 has invited some friends (14year old boys) round for a BBQ. I'm not sure how many are coming, I think 10....How much food? What food? What drink? What pudding?

It's today and I've done nothing to prepare.
I do have a Costco card...

Can you tell I'm panicking?

RunningMommy Sat 22-Apr-17 07:50:14

Burgers, buns, sausages, maybe sweet corn? What does your son like to eat?
Ice cream for pudding?

marriednotdead Sat 22-Apr-17 08:09:18

Think how much meat per head you'd expect to put on a plate and multiply by amount of guests- maybe a burger and two sausages each plus buns. Triple it. Buy that! One pack of veggie equivalents unless he's certain they all eat meat.
Bulk out with precut burger buns and plenty of ketchup/BBQ sauce. A little bit of salad/coleslaw. Leftover meat/buns can be frozen (unlikely to be any though).
Cans/individual bottles of fizzy drink or cartons of juice. Bag of ice.

Costco do big celebration cakes, if it's not a birthday then a red velvet would be fab.

Make sure your bathroom is boyproof...

LynetteScavo Sat 22-Apr-17 08:22:02

Married thank you, I think you've got it.

DS had already asked me to get a red velvet cake.

I guess I'll just buy loads and loads and freeze what's left.

Is there anything I shouldn't do? I don't want to be the uncool mum. Do I just leave them to it?

LynetteScavo Sat 22-Apr-17 08:24:14

Ice cream is a good idea! Individual ones like Feast/cornetto? Or cones? Or bowls?

MovingtoParadise Sat 22-Apr-17 08:44:00

A LOT of tortilla chips

marriednotdead Sat 22-Apr-17 10:14:58

Individual icecreams/cones. Paper plates, a couple of big foil roasting tins to dump it all in and lots of foil and kitchen roll. You don't want to be washing up and I doubt you'll get volunteers grin

Yes yes to the tortilla chips- several big bags and a couple of jars of salsa/sour cream dip. And if you're not snobby, that lovely plasticky sliced cheese for the burgers.

marriednotdead Sat 22-Apr-17 10:22:25

He is the host so has to help prep food etc.
Stay out of the way if you're not cooking but make it clear that you're in charge. If anyone acts up, your DS has 5 minutes to stop them/evict them or you will do it for him! Hopefully, if you let him know your expectations, he will pass them on to his friends and save himself the embarrassment of you being bossy grin
<can you tell I've had housefuls of teenage boys?!>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now