Talk

Advanced search

Austrian fancy dress

(5 Posts)
Nevercan Tue 15-Mar-16 18:28:50

Does anyone have any ideas on how to create adult Bavarian outfits for a fancy dress party rather than buy one?

ShatnersBassoon Tue 15-Mar-16 18:30:11

Does it have to be traditional lederhosen etc? Could you dress as a famous (or infamous) Austrian?

Nevercan Wed 16-Mar-16 09:22:11

I think it can be anything.

Schwabischeweihnachtskanne Sat 26-Mar-16 10:59:13

People always buy Tracht - I'm not sure it is really something you could make yourself unless you are very handy with a sewing machine - and even then you could make a woman's outfit but not a man's easily, unless you chose a material that looked like leather...

You do know Bavarian and Austrian are different don't you, Bavaria being in Germany and Austria being the next door country? wink

DD has a T-shirt with a picture of a Kangaroo and the slogan "No kangaroos in Austria" ... you could do that as a low-key take on the idea if it is Austrian you need, not Bavarian. You can get a variety of T shirts on a Bavarian theme so you could stencil your own T shirt, again if you wanted to go low key nod to the theme rather than all-out. If you google something like "Bayerische tracht T shirts" you get a few ideas.

TennesseeDays Sat 26-Mar-16 11:40:53

For men or boys, I would try and assemble something like brown shorts with braces, and a white or gingham shirt underneath. Knee length woolly socks and leather shoes. Maybe a hat with a feather.

For women, maybe a white fitted blouse with short puffy sleeves, a full skirt and a pretty apron in contrasting-coloured fabric covering the skirt. And maybe hair up/twisted around the head in plaits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now