Talk

Advanced search

Party in the Woods

(11 Posts)
upthegardenpath Mon 11-Jan-16 11:57:20

Going hold a Party in our local Woods ( local cafe' offers them, entertainer thrown in, food too) for our almost 8 year old DD.
She has boy and girl friends she wants to invite - aiming for around 10 kids i total, tops.
No parents, just me and DH.
Cafe' has asked us what theme sh'd like for her party.
No idea!
Pirates and fairies a bit old hat I think, for an 8 yo - asked DD and she wasn't keen either.
Apparently they can do a treasure hunt through the Woods as well, with clues to find etc.
Fancy dress optional but could be fun. Nothing overtly girly.
Any thoughts much appreciated.

figureofspeech Wed 13-Jan-16 13:40:43

Woodland theme involving fairies, policies, elves, goblins etc? Too young or ok?

figureofspeech Wed 13-Jan-16 13:41:50

Pixies not policies bloody autocorrect!

Cressandra Wed 13-Jan-16 18:56:14

Explorers, Deadly60, outward bound/survival camp / bush camp type of thing?

I don't think it necessarily needs theming.

Fairy fancy dress is not super-practical for running round in a muddy wood in Feb/March. Neither are many dressing up outfits, come to that.

upthegardenpath Fri 15-Jan-16 12:54:44

Thanks figure yes I had thought of something like that, but DD thought it was a bit babyish! (that's me told then).

Thanks Cressandra - I agree about theming - don't generally lie the idea, especially at this age. However, have since found out that they get 45 minutes' of time with s professional storyteller, who takes them around the wood on a hunt, which is why even a loose theme is fun.

Have decided to go with her favourite book - The Magic Faraway Tree. Something for the storyteller to work with, appropriate setting, no bloody costumes - as you said may be best to just come prepared for mud!

Thanks both for your ideas. 3 heads always better than 1 flowers

pilates Fri 15-Jan-16 13:04:05

Sounds funsmile

Cressandra Fri 15-Jan-16 16:22:26

Wow that sounds like a great party.

There really is no guessing what is and isn't babyish to an eight year old, is there? The Faraway Tree is chock full of fairies & goblins!!

upthegardenpath Fri 15-Jan-16 17:45:00

True smile

Thanks all for your thumbs up.

At the end of the day, they'll run around a wood in wellies, screaming, finding treasure...then get tanked up on cake. Theme or no theme, it's all about the cake grin

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Fri 15-Jan-16 17:49:30

I thought of horrid Henry! Good party idea though.

wonkylegs Fri 15-Jan-16 17:53:09

Sounds great - DS always has an outdoor party (we have 1.5acres to loose the kids in), this years theme is going to be Minecraft with lots of building challenges and a treasure hunt
Treasure hunts can be themed round anything with a bit of imagination.
Have been to a woodland dinosaur hunt which was fab. Scooby Doo mystery would also work in the woods.

Lovelydiscusfish Fri 15-Jan-16 22:32:16

Sounds like a great party!
I would say that anything animal-themed would be fab! Possibly we are quite into nature/animals as a family, so it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I would say just the chance to experience a woodland environment, and maybe do some kind do nature trail, or mini-beast hunt, or bird-watch, etc etc, would be brilliant for children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now