Advanced search

Joint party - 1 or 2 presents?

(6 Posts)
Tailtwister Tue 29-Oct-13 14:45:11

DS1 is attending a joint birthday party for 2 siblings. The younger one is in his class and the older one he knows by sight, but not a friend IYSWIM.

Do I buy 2 presents or just 1 for the child in his class? I don't mind particularly either way, but I don't want to appear mean if I don't or embarrass the parents if I do.

What do you think?

Latetothematch Tue 29-Oct-13 17:55:05

I would either get 2 presents for half the amount I would normally spent, or spend normal amount and get a joint present as siblings.

If they were friends I would get 2 presents for half the amount.

HorryIsUpduffed Tue 29-Oct-13 19:26:44

All of them angry

This is where The Works 3 for £10 compendium-type books reduce my rage.

Exception: where you have explicitly been invited by one child, rather than both, eg "Jack would like to invite Sophie to his and Harry's party". Then just one.

WaitMonkey Tue 29-Oct-13 21:28:22

I've been in this situation. Always buy two gifts.

lade Tue 29-Oct-13 23:38:43

My daughters have joint parties, but I certainly wouldn't expect their friends to buy them both a present.

Where possible, I try to just put the relevant child's name on the invite. So DD1 invites her friends, and Dd2 invites hers.

I would hate it, if people thought they had to buy for both (which is why I never put it as a joint party on the invite).

However, if the mum has put both names on the invite, then I suspect she is expecting a present for both. In that situation, I would split the budget and spend 75% on the main friend and get a little something with the other 25% for the sibling.

Tailtwister Wed 30-Oct-13 10:02:33

Two gifts it is then. Thanks for the advice, children's parties are a minefield!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now