Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone used "Science Boffins" for a children's party?

(14 Posts)
jura Wed 28-Jun-06 14:30:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jura Wed 28-Jun-06 14:30:44

Bink Wed 28-Jun-06 14:55:15

jura, there is another reptilian outfit that regularly comes to visit ds & dd's school, and one of ds's friends had for her 7th birthday and was an enormous success: lots of things ranging from tarantula (eek) to chinchilla (aah). I am trying to recall the name but can't - I do think, though, it's mentioned in the parties bit of Time Out for Children, so I can check at home.

On Science Boffins, I would think they are probably a duplicate of the "Mad Science" US import (website is madscience.org) which runs a wildly popular after-school club at the school. So I guess if you were going for that angle I'd go for the Mad Science people as we've got positive experience of them.

Don't book till I come back re the animal contact, though!

LizP Wed 28-Jun-06 15:40:54

My ds is going to have a science party for his birthday - but I'm going to do it myself. there are loads of good ideas on the web that I think will be easy to do and amuse small boys. Only problem is if it rains - do I really want a litre of coke shooting about indoors

Blandmum Wed 28-Jun-06 16:10:17

I can tell you some good science tricks if you lile.

Egg in a bottle and collapsing coke cans are good for a laugh. Levitating magmets are also good, and rockets out of film canisters.

Custard balls

Algenate worms....all sorts!

jura Wed 28-Jun-06 16:21:16

jura Wed 28-Jun-06 16:21:56

grumpyfrumpy Wed 28-Jun-06 16:41:46

grumpyfrumpy Wed 28-Jun-06 16:46:07

Bink Wed 28-Jun-06 19:54:10

yes, grumpy, those are the ones who do the afterschool group for littlies at my kids' school. They are really good.

TwinsetandPearls Wed 28-Jun-06 20:06:15

These all look fab, wish we had stuff like this up here. We took dd to the science fair in edinburgh earlier in the year and she loved it.

Would also be great to have a party that was not a princess party!

Bink Wed 28-Jun-06 20:54:27

jura, the animal people who come to my children's school are (I think) Animal Ark but I'm not sure they do small parties.

The animal man ds's friend had for her party (a special bash as the family were leaving For Ever for Australia shortly thereafter, which ds is enduringly sad about as he and his friend plan to marry) is Nick Spellman - again, I think - website definitely mentions the owl and the chinchilla, which were features of the party (and ds and dd were totally captivated by). He gets a rave write-up in the Time Out thing.

Paulette Wed 26-Jul-06 15:17:57

Hi Mums. Glad to know that Science Boffins are getting a hearing. Promise you we leave no mess or trace other than smiles on the faces of the children.

We would be glad to prove it with a discount to the first Mum that books with tell us that she saw this on Mumsnet and gives us the password "and have fun". Only condition she must type a report for all you other Mothers.

Give David a call on 0800 019 2636

acarter001 Wed 29-Jul-15 11:08:51

Hi all.

I've just stumbled across this thread. I used Science Boffins for a party last month and I can honestly say, they were great! Much fun had by all...including the parents!

The website is bit.ly/ScienceBoffins - take a look!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now