Talk

Advanced search

party bags help

(21 Posts)
RonitZilkha Tue 30-May-06 14:17:38

Help me please, I am a novice party bag filler and to make things more stressful, DS1 's first birthday party is a full-blown(organised by PILs) party bash (with 80 or so guests)
However, I got control over the cake(good), a fab new outfit(excellent) and the party bags (less good)
There are going to 14 children (ranging from 7 months, to 4/5/7/11/13/14 years old.The older children are boys and the oldest girl is 5.
I'm fine with what 1-3 year olds like(DD1 is 2.5 years) but what on earth do i get the others.
Where are good places to buy the darn things?

006 Tue 30-May-06 14:31:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Twiglett Tue 30-May-06 14:33:50

think you should get books for all of them

the older children won't thank you for treating them like littlies with party bags .. but will like a present

try thebookpeople.co.uk .. they do packs of 10 books for £10 .. that'll sort out the littlies
then just wrap 'em up

for the bigger children ask their parents? or check by age category

Twiglett Tue 30-May-06 14:35:08

book people for teenage boys

Kelly1978 Tue 30-May-06 14:36:37

books sound like such a good idea. I hate all the crap that comes home in party bags. It's normally full of tiny little bits that then get eaten by the dts.

RonitZilkha Tue 30-May-06 14:46:04

The book idea is a really good one, the main worry i had re that was the cost but 10 for £10 sounds fab.

plus stickers, hair acessories, lip gloss for girls is also good

what about boys aged 7-13? do they like comics? or things like that
action toys?

Cappucino Tue 30-May-06 15:07:16

avoid party bags at all costs

they're like a cult waiting to suck you in with their odd rubbery worms and break-in-half-at-the-first-go hairslides

agree a book each. including the boys. why can't boys read as well? I'd just wrap them really nicely and forget about the hairslides and whatnot, they'll only get binned probably.

006 Tue 30-May-06 15:18:25

Cappucino Tue 30-May-06 15:41:05

sorry 006 - didn't mean to diss your hairslides

but the oldest girl at the party is 5 and my experience of under-five hairslides is a lot of pinkness, plastic and a lot of tears when they snap

006 Tue 30-May-06 15:52:04

sunnydelight Tue 30-May-06 20:10:37

I've often done a lucky dip as kids leave rather than party bags which always goes down well, but with your age spread that might be difficult.

Skribble Tue 30-May-06 22:54:44

Party Bags don't have to be full of rubbish, honest.

I do all sorts of stuff from telescopes and wooden compasses to LED book lights and magnetic ladybirds.

I agree that one decent thng like a book or a well chosen gift is better than a bag full of plastic tatt. So I don't sell tatt .

OK plug over .

Tilly15 Fri 02-Jun-06 20:31:03

Hi,
I've found a really good website - not used it yet, but plan to for my daughter's party next month. The party bags are all pre-filled - but really, really nice. Best thing is - I won't have to lift a finger as they're already made up - my sort of thing!! Has anyone else actually used them?

Here's a link to their homepage .

SoupDragon Fri 02-Jun-06 20:33:57

Blimey - just looked at that site and I wouldn't spend that amount on a party bag!! Those are a waste of money IMO.

LadyCodofCOdford Fri 02-Jun-06 20:36:01

if you are to busy to bung a couple of thingsin a bag you SO NEED TO LOOK AT YOUR WORK LIFE BALANCE IMO

Tilly15 Fri 02-Jun-06 20:44:24

Hi
I see your point - but I have a really hectic career and just can't spend ages trawling around shops trying to find suitable fillers and bags.

Last year I spent about that much per bag, just at Woolworths - pack of seeds, sweets, stationary etc. It all adds up.

Anyway - it was just an idea.

Skribble Fri 02-Jun-06 22:53:08

OOh very pricey, mine are £1 to £2.

LadyCodofCOdford Sat 03-Jun-06 13:50:15

you go to woolies
you buy loads of sweets and spme pencils or other stationery
you put in bag
30 mins

twinsetandpearls Sat 03-Jun-06 14:04:39

I think those pre filled party bags are far too expensive , I have a bdget of about £1 - !.50 for party bags,

Last year we bought plain paper bags from party pieces that they deocrated and filled with the things they had made as it was a craft party and and a piece of cake. They all also took a book form the Book people attached to a helium balloon that had been used to decorate the hall we hired.

I will probably do the same again.

The previous year I made up art and craft bags, went to a cheap stationers and bought multi packs of glitter pens, play dough and colours which I split between the bags. The older children got little staionary sets which were £1.25. I liked these bags but I know some of the mums didn't appreciate their children coming home with playdough and glitter!

I do think a book and a balloon are a good ideas, better than lots of bits that will break and more sweets when they are high from the party anyway and saves you having to hunt around shops.

SoupDragon Sat 03-Jun-06 14:14:35

Baker Ross is great if you can't be ar$ed to go out.

RonitZilkha Sat 03-Jun-06 14:50:51

Right, got a little carried away with the books from the book people but probably have got loads of extras for birthday presents in future.

Also have a few sweeties, hairclips, stickers and pens from Woolies.

All in all have gon e alittle over budget up to £2 per bag but imagine that i will get better at this malarkey for next time

thanks everyone for advice

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: