Talk

Advanced search

Where can I get a "number 1" cake tin,please?

(9 Posts)
Bubbaloo Tue 30-May-06 10:30:29

Title says it all really.Ds is one in a few weeks and I would like to attempt my first cake,but need to find the cake tin efirst.

Any ideas please?

TIA.

KTeePee Tue 30-May-06 10:35:23

Is there a shop near you which sells kitchen equipment/utensils, etc? If so, they may have these tins to rent/buy

LIZS Tue 30-May-06 10:45:05

You can hire here otherwise they seem to be from £17 upwards to buy. Or take a rectangular tine and either cook the cake and make a template from card to cut out the shape or use foil to edge it within the tin and bake it that shape.

CaptainDippy Tue 30-May-06 10:52:27

Party shops always have then to rent - Look them up in your local Yellow Pages. They are pretty cheap on eBay too and everyone always wants to borrow mine!! (Perhaps I should start charging!!?)

Bubbaloo Tue 30-May-06 10:59:29

Thanks.
I've had a look on Ebay-they're not that cheap.Think I'll look in the Yellow Pages and see if I can rent one.If not,maybe I'll just get a photo cake from Tesco-they're only £8 and are really nice.
Was quoted £75 from a cake shop,which is ridiculous.
Thanks again.

littlerach Tue 30-May-06 11:24:34

Can you not bake a rectangle cake, plus another one, then mould the two bits together into the shape with icing/jam?

wanderingstar Sat 03-Jun-06 18:46:54

This may be too late for you, but just to let you know there are paper cake moulds on the market. Self assembly. Made of stiff silicone coated card - available for the numbers. Can't remember the brand but they are only about £3. Try googling...

robinpud Sat 03-Jun-06 19:11:35

I always use a roasting tin and cut out whatever number we are up to, smother it in icing and decorate. I have managed up to 9 ok so far.

Bubbaloo Sun 04-Jun-06 12:18:43

Thanks everyone.
I actually went and ordered one from a cake shop yesterday,as I thought it would be less hassle.Ds is having a large number one cake with a "RazzleDazzle" sitting on the top of it.He probably won't even take any notice of it,but at least I don't have to worry about the cake now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: