Shirley's party advice part 6 - don't be afraid to interrupt us!(1000 Posts)
Okay, this is shirley's party advice part 6. Shirley ducked out a while ago and you'll notice us chatting about all kinds of stuff whilst we wait for party planners to barge in.
So, don't lurk, jump in and chat. We'll give you any advice on parties from costumes to cakes....
'twas my fault. I dropped him trying to paint the underside of his wings. Replacement puffin (it had to be the flying one, so no chance of repair) is now drying and cake number 2 is in the oven.
Yeah i'd spent an hour leaving dh in his own whilst i got to know the new mums for dd's class so by the time blathers came i didnt really dare leave him much longer without rebellion!
But i'd already met one of blaths sisters now ive seen the whole lot, stealth they all look the same but with different colouring/build it was uncanny!
I have finally booked the party venue and party is on 21st July, eek!
Now just to organised the activities, games, food and cake!
Where do I even begin!
"all of Blathers' sisters" ? How many are there ?
3 daughters - that's good. Something sooner than October for us all to focus on. I do have DH's birthday, end of term presents for teachers which I am half way through making, and the village fete. Other than that and the minor irritation of work, I'm all yours
Three daughters we last left you in self doubt over baker Ross craft activities, so are you having a theme and have you bought any craft kits?
Stealth: blathers has 2 sisters and a brother all with the same face but different hairstyles or glasses.
Blathers has also now completed Juneathon. I'm off to bed. Zzzzzz
The grand total of my effort so far has been to book the room, which I did today
DD2s end of reception school report said she LOVES craft stuff so I am definitely going with that but think it might be better if I simplify it?
Maybe one craft activity for everyone plus games and food?
I asked DD3 who she wanted to invite and she said Peppa Pig, that might be a bit tricky
Night night Blathers
I am sure Peppa likes craft stuff too
Right I am going to plan the party tonight and have a few questions.
1. I have decided on doing 3 craft activities. I am going to buy some white paper bags and have the first activity decorating them their party bags. The second activity will be decorating crowns to wear as party hats. Which do you think would be best out of suncatchers and photo frames as the last activity?
2. How long should I gibe for each activity or should I just let them sit at the table and do whatever they want?
3. I am also going to do 3 games between the activities and was thinking of doing pass the parcel, musical bumps and stick the tail on the peppa pig/Hello Kitty. I was thinking of doing one lot of each for the older and younger children so the young ones have a chance of winning something. Not sure these really stick to the craft theme though?!
4. Would this and this be ok for party bag gifts plus the things they made and some sweets "won" in the games?
5. Should they have a cake each or as they are siblings will one to share for their party and then small individual cakes each on their actual birthday be ok? I was thinking of something like this or this
I think that is it for now, I will be back with questions about food soon
1. Photoframes. Have you got a printer? Ideal would be take a photo of them in their decorated hat and then print photos out to slot into their frame.
2. Put all the activities out and let them go round in a circuit. I allocated the first hour of my dd's party for craft activities (they made lanterns, got hair braided, coloured sheets and something else ive forgotten). So if you split them up you wont get all of then beelining for one popular activity, they all get a turn and those that finish one thing quicker than others can move on. Just make sure you've got a helper per table or you'll be like me yelling hold on i'm just sticking this for x, then gluing that for y!
3. Right do one set of games for the kids but possibly a younger parcel for the littler kids or choose a generic prize like pencil crayons or similar so it spans the age ranges, crayola do some great art sets that are cheap but ok for all ages. My biggest tip tho is get some stickers. When a person is out in musical bumps for example then kids just keep on playing! So you're screwed trying to work out whos in still. All the parties ive been to give sweets when your out so everyone wind but kids eat the sweets and come back in! Stickers!!
4. Those are lovely for party bag but as you've got plenty of '"makes" i wouldnt feel pressured to buy more, the activity items, sweets and cake should be plenty.
5. Tricky, you know your kids best as to how important it is to them to have their own cake. Get both names put on the cake/board and candles for each to blow put but stealth, blathers and i all like making the cake the best so im pretty sure we'd all make each kid their own but thats just our "thing". If they'd get a cake each on their birthday anyway i'd do it the other way round, share at a family tea on the actual day but a cake each and singing from all your friends at your party. Thats the glory moment for kids i find.
When DD's friends who are twins have a joint party they have a cake each and there are 2 renditions of happy birthday.
Hi, would love some practical advice with this one... we are having a Baptism which will be followed by a party as is usual but its also my DD's birthdat 3 days later so thought it wise to have a party to celebrate both these events in her life.
How can I word the invitation? I don't want anyone to think we are after two sets of gifts for her and would prefer people just came along to celebrate than did gifts anyway. How can I word this and how to explain succinctly that it is a celebration for two events?
Either make it lighthearted from
Her like " please come to my baptismal birthday bash!"
Or from you parents, x and y request the pleasure of your company at the baptism of baby augusta at x church
Followed by birthday celebrations at x reception venue.
Or x and y request the pleasure of your company at the baptism and birthday celebration of babyaugusta at x venue
How about "please join us to celebrate DD's first year, and her baptism?"
That sounds great thanks. How can I word the present issue? I really don't want to look like we are after Baptism and birthday gifts!
Dont mention presents then it looks like you're not bothered and people can decide for themselves.
What i mean is on a baptism you wouldnt mention presents nor for a birthday invite the polite thing is to wait and see. If its a first birthday most people will buy her one special memorable item i should think.
I think if it is firmly one celebration for 2 reasons, people will bring one present - I know I would.
NonsenseTalker - I saw this and thought of you - tutorial on superhero cupcakes, plus lots of sugar plaques and other useful stuff.
Hi, I'm back and am thinking about DD's 4th Fairies & Pirates party
Instead of party bags I'm thinking of doing books - Rainbow Fairy ones for the girls and the same pirate story for the boys - this is because they are very reasonably priced at The Book People!
Good or bad idea?
(I'm still catching up with reading this thread - I'm on 20th June)
Up to date now! I always learn a few tricks when I read these threads
Books good idea for fairies and pirates - but what do you give the female pirates?
Pirates are very handy. They seem to get combined with all sorts (we did princesses and pirates), but there are always, IME, plenty of girl pirates.
You are quite right. And whilst I had thought that the girls might come as pirates and the boys as fairies if they wanted to - I had'nt transferred that thought over to the party bag situation!
So you think that a girl who came dressed as a pirate would NOT like a fairy book? Cos I will have to buy the right number of pirate books in advance... The fairy books come as a pack of 16 so I'll have plenty. Would a boy dressed as a fairy want a fairy book? But if I was doing party bags then I would make them fairy and pirate too and buy the right number in advance...
This thread is not accepting new messages.
Please login first.