Would you hire a photographer for a children's party?

(29 Posts)
NellUK Tue 28-Aug-12 19:33:52

Hi all,

I'm not sure this is in the right location but I'm just doing a little market research for myself before I pursue something that there may be no demand for.

Would you hire a photographer to capture your children's parties and how much would you be willing (absolute maximum) to pay for an average length party (2 - 4 hours?)?

I have looked online and the only places that I have managed to find are in London and naturally charge London prices, plus they are professional whereas I am just a hobbyist looking for some pocket money...

Any help or suggestions are gratefully received.

Many thanks, Helen

OP’s posts: |
dearprudence Tue 28-Aug-12 19:37:23

No, I wouldn't. Do people really do this?

scurryfunge Tue 28-Aug-12 19:37:50

No I wouldn't, sorry. Most people can achieve decent enough photos themselves if they have a reasonable camera.

ContinentalKat Tue 28-Aug-12 19:39:26

Sorry, but there is absolutely no way I would ever hire a photographer for a child's birthday party.

I do see a market with a particular kind of parents for it, though...

iklboo Tue 28-Aug-12 19:41:13

No, sorry.

LemarchandsBox Tue 28-Aug-12 19:41:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hulababy Tue 28-Aug-12 19:41:34

No I wouldn't. I have my own camera and like to take photos so wouldn't be something I would need.


NellUK Tue 28-Aug-12 19:42:05

Some do, as far as I can tell - and they charge a nice sum, but like I said, they're professionals and it's not their main style of photography.

OP’s posts: |
OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Tue 28-Aug-12 19:42:08

Nah. I like my own pics.

marriedtoagoodun Tue 28-Aug-12 19:46:29

I did blush I was fostering and had a triple birthday party for three girls turning 4, 5 and 6 years old. All august babies albeit not on the same date. They had no family photos and I felt that this birthday party had to document the beginning of a new chapter for them. I paid £75 and the chap came and took photos at the house of them gettig ready, caught all the party action including the blowing out of candles on three cakes and also some really lovely moments that I just would have missed. All put on a disc and when they were adopted the disc went with them. Even now I look at the photo of them all stood in a row smiling and think 'ahhhhh'. I also hired a photographer for my daughters baptism...

BikeRunSki Tue 28-Aug-12 19:46:40

No, i'm sure there would be all sorts of issues with permission to take photos of other people's children. I have to sign disclaimers allowing (or not) photos of my children to be taken at nursery, Surestart etc.

NellUK Tue 28-Aug-12 19:52:58

Good point BikeRunSki, these are the kind of things that would have to be investigated and looked into properly. I'm guessing (pure speculation here!) that perhaps 'permission slips' go out with invites or just verbal agreement from the parents (as we did with my niece and nephews party last year).

Marriedtoagoodun - no need for red cheeks! My sister has said there is a market out there somewhere, it's just a case of finding it - she is in the military and cherishes any photos she can get of all four of them together, so maybe a market there?

Many thanks to all for your responses

OP’s posts: |
marriedtoagoodun Tue 28-Aug-12 20:16:28

well as a one cap fits all I am also married to someone in the military. We do get a photographer in for fathers day to send a picture of mum and baby/child to the lads away from home, also for pre/post deployment family shoots? The trick is to find the local familes officer and offer to do it for free - upload one digital image free to every family (no costs to you) and charge a set fee for either more digital images or an actual printed image.

TeaDr1nker Tue 28-Aug-12 20:22:44

Yes, i did for my DD birthday - i don't live in London/South either.

It was the best thing i did as i was annoyed that i never had any decent pictures of her birthday parties.

Whilst the photographer was there i also got her to do family shots in another room. It was about £80 for her time and then she edited the pictures and put them on a disc for me - no pictures, i had them made into a photobook online. I love it, and i think it is well worth the money. As i have some really lovely pictures of the party BUT i also got some lovely pictures of me and DP/my parents/sister/in-laws etc and it's not often you get us all together.

However, if i had a reliable friend or family member who was good with the camera then i would have asked them to be 'official photographer' so to speak. But i don't.

TeaDr1nker Tue 28-Aug-12 20:25:01

Just to add - the photographer i used was the one who covered our child's nursary photo's but i am sure if i rung a photographer in this area some of them would be happy to do this type of thing.

NellUK Tue 28-Aug-12 20:37:06

The thing I have found as the 'official photographer' for friends and family is that I am never in the photos myself, which can be a little disheartening at times when you get round to looking at the pictures all together and YOU don't feature on the 'big day'.

Marriedtoagoodun, like your thinking. My sisters family are currently overseas (America) but once they're back in the country (next summer!) that's something to consider...thanks

Im thinking the general consensus is not to have just one style of photography, but to explore many and get work experience

OP’s posts: |
cranium84 Sun 20-Jul-14 15:48:55

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Nix01 Mon 01-Sep-14 09:52:36

Yes I would, I think around 50 would be reasonable for 2 hours?

MamaDoGood Mon 01-Sep-14 10:18:44

I hired a friend who is a photographer.
Gave him £50 and he put them all on a disc for me smile
I was too busy to take photographs myself !

SylvaniansKeepGettingHoovered Mon 01-Sep-14 10:31:00

No, not in a million years! I would just take some casual photos myself. It costs enough money to organise children's parties, what with the venue/entertainment/cake etc never mind adding a photographer on to the bill! I've also done some parties as cheap as possible in my own home, providing crafts and other entertainment, making our own food. The cost still adds up.

I just don't think people are going to want to fork out the money for this service you're planning to offer.

CateLewitt Tue 04-Oct-16 11:06:15

Hi, Helen!
Have you tried looking for a freelance photographer on websites for freelancers like this one: www.xplace.com/photography/freelancers? There are a lot of self-taught photographers and beginners who won’t charge so much. I think you should give it a try, especially because the board is completely commission free – you won’t have to pay for posting a job offer there.

Cocochoco Sun 16-Oct-16 15:30:38

I wouldn't but I think it's a wonderful idea for richer parents - all our party pics are crap!! I can definitely imagine some friends hiring a photographer.

CheekyMcgee Sun 16-Oct-16 15:34:59

Zombie thread!

Pixie2015 Sun 16-Oct-16 15:37:08

Yes I would

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 16-Oct-16 15:37:15

Why not just advertise it as one of your services, rather than limiting yourself to children's parties? It's a bit of a niche market.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in