Talk

Advanced search

birthday cake etiquette

(16 Posts)
chelseamorning Mon 17-Oct-11 21:35:52

I'm having sleepless nights about my DS's 5th birthday cake!

No-one in our house likes icing, buttercream, fondant etc on cakes, and so I'd rather not make a large goo covered cake for his party. I'm not doing standard party bags for his friends and so won't be giving out cake in a napkin at the end.

The party 'theme' is super heros and space. I'd like to make a cake so that he has candles to blow out, but if I don't put goo on it, how can I decorate it? Any ideas please?

Also, what would you think if I just made a load of cupcakes for his friends to eat at the party, but perhaps pile them up (artistically, like! hmm) and add sparklers, stars on sticks, candles etc to it?

Please, what is the birthday cake etiquette? I suspect I'm probably over-analysing this but, here in my part of the South East, you are totally judged at such events! sad

StrikeUpTheBand Mon 17-Oct-11 21:37:39

Chocolate? I once saw a cake recipe with white chocolate mixed with cream and then poured onto the cake and left to set (strawberries all the way around the top too smile).

stealthsquiggle Mon 17-Oct-11 21:39:54

Stack of cupcakes (ideally on poncey stand - how about this - it would be perfect) would more than pass the judgey-pants test - you could leave some of them un-iced for those (including you) who don't like icing.

needanewname Mon 17-Oct-11 21:41:11

I've done a pile of cupcakes in the past - worked really well, though took longer than I'd planned!

crystalglasses Mon 17-Oct-11 21:41:14

your cupcake idea sounds fab. You could also make a plain spongecake and cover it in smarties and stick the candles in with them.

timetosmile Mon 17-Oct-11 21:41:33

Make a load of cupcakes, then shape them (on a flat tray..no arty-but-high-risk-tower needed) into either a number 5 or a rocket.
You could cover the tray with aluminium foil or black paper, or a 'space' theme wrapping paper, and scatter white chocolate stars (cake decorating aisle in supermarket) for added background interest.
As long as you have at least one cupcake for each guest you're sorted...they just pick one off the tray when the candles have been blown out, and that's party dessert sorted too!

herecomesthsun Tue 18-Oct-11 15:26:18

I don't like icing much and DS does not have a very sweet tooth. For his party I adapted Nigella's chocolate brownie recipe, dusted with a little icing sugar and stuck this on top, with candles. I had planned to cut the brownie squares out first, pile on a plate and then decorate with candles and pirate stuff, but in the end I just served it in the baking tin.It looked suitably fun and went down v well.

For spacemen this would be an option.

WindingMeUp Wed 19-Oct-11 12:11:16

Mmmm cake!

cjbartlett Wed 19-Oct-11 12:14:59

round here we just take the child to the supermarket and they choose their favourite cake - usually star wars/doctor who for a 5 yr old boy

Bert2e Wed 19-Oct-11 12:20:41

I never send cake home in party bags - we always have it for desert after party food! Cake in party bags always sticks to the napkin, dries out and gets squashed so I don't bother.

stealthsquiggle Wed 19-Oct-11 12:21:41

<<jumps up and down>>

OP - have you looked at the link in my last post - it's just such a perfect cupcake stand for a space party....

ChaosTrulyReigns Wed 19-Oct-11 12:27:01

stealthy.

It's brilliant.

You clever girl, you.

«ruffles hair»

stealthsquiggle Wed 19-Oct-11 12:28:35

<<purrs under praise from chaos grin>>

I can google, I can [proud]

neolara Wed 19-Oct-11 12:37:12

Cup cakes is a great party activity. Have undecorated cup cakes. Have icing and decoration bits e.g. smarties, sprinkles etc. Get kids to decorate cake as they like. Everyone is happy and they can take them home.

chelseamorning Wed 19-Oct-11 13:13:00

Wow, thanks you lot! Thanks for confirming my desire just to do cupcakes. I should know to just go with my instincts and to stuff what others say. I shall not follow the crowd!

Stealth, you are fab. Yes, you are! I wonder if it'll hold 40+ cupcakes?

stealthsquiggle Wed 19-Oct-11 16:10:30

blush

it doesn't really matter if it holds enough cakes - you could just fill it, and put the rest on a tray.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now