Talk

Advanced search

What are tootsie rolls? Birthday cake question

(8 Posts)
fridayschild Sun 16-Oct-11 18:19:19

DS2 thinks I am going to make him a birthday cake that looks like a formula one racing car. Ho ho ho.

But I did find this set of instructions on an american website here which calls for tootsie rolls. Any ideas, anyone? Or other suggestions for the glass in the car windows?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fridayschild Tue 18-Oct-11 17:01:05

Thanks very much

grumpypants Tue 18-Oct-11 17:03:16

all the tootsie rolls do is get melted and then shaped into windows. as they are soooo expensive over here (nice if the soft ones tho) why not just use rice paper and be done with it?

fridayschild Fri 21-Oct-11 13:45:08

Now that's a cunning plan! I was thinking about thin slabs of chocolate but rice paper would be MUCH easier.

grumpypants Fri 21-Oct-11 13:50:47

grin

stealthsquiggle Fri 21-Oct-11 13:50:52

Just use fondant icing (the stuff you roll out) - black or brown (which has the benefit of being chocolate flavoured) - the American site is only faffing around melting toffees because they are a backward nation don't really have fondant except in craft-type shops - SIL's niece, visiting us as a teenager, had great fun doing cake-y stuff with it and christened it "English frosting" grin

fridayschild Sun 23-Oct-11 21:30:48

DS2 does not like chocolate hmm but thanks for the thought.

Is fondant easier to spread on a cake which has been cut into shape (and has crumby sides) than buttercream? I have tried in the past with apricot jam first but I just get a crumb/jam mix on the cake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now