Talk

Advanced search

Party dilemma - HELP!

(7 Posts)
mumofsoontobelawstudent Thu 08-Sep-11 20:21:47

I can't be that mum who is flamed/shuned in the school playground for not inviting some/all of the children.

DD starts school part time next week. First week half the class doing 11am to 1pm and other half doing 1pm to 3pm. They will only be all together the week commencing 19th September. DD's 5th birthday party only just over a week after then.

There are 30 in her class, 3 reception classes! She doesn't really know anyone in her class yet, just a few that she has met over past few weeks but does know one girl in one of the other classes.

I was going to organise a 'dancing/disco' party for some of the girls, the ones that she has met in recent weeks and a few others she might make friends with in the next week or two. Was quite happy with that then talking to some mums yesterday and one commented that as DD's party would be one of the first I'd be setting the standard and a few others implied that I should be asking the whole class!shock

WWYD? DD is going through her 'I hate boys' phase at the moment and doesn't want any boys there but I'd hate to upset or offend anyone in the first few weeks of term (or indeed at any time!)

deloreshunchfront Fri 09-Sep-11 01:12:58

I say invite who you like, BUT don't allow your DD to hand out invites in general view. Be discreet.

mumofsoontobelawstudent Fri 09-Sep-11 08:32:39

Thats what worries me, the handing out of invites, we don't know the girls yet, I don't know the parents and it doesn't help this staggered start nonsense. I'm worried about upsetting people and am almost tempted to postphone her party until they are all settled and know each other properly rather than just inviting a list of names that she doesn't really know. Oh now I long for a summer baby grin

savoycabbage Fri 09-Sep-11 08:38:44

I believe in inviting who you like/play with or whatever rather than who you feel obligated to invite. It's your child's party after all.

However i think if it was me I would be tempted to ask all the girls in the class as your dd just won't have time to find out who her friends are.

I bet most of the parents won't want the standard to be set by a whole class party! Who would want to go to 20 children's parties a year!

That woman must be a loon!

mumofsoontobelawstudent Fri 09-Sep-11 11:34:55

girls it is grin

mumofsoontobelawstudent Fri 09-Sep-11 11:35:32

although, on checking the class list we just received it is not clear whether some of the names are boys or girls!

Technoprisoners Fri 09-Sep-11 11:42:55

I would either go very small, or else all the girls. Maybe the girl she knows in the other class plus one or two others, and have a tea party at home or take them out for a treat. Any more and you run the risk of unfairness, unless you ask all the girls. And don't be influenced by other parents - it's your dd's birthday and you do what you feel comfortable with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now