Talk

Advanced search

Doctor Who themed party - ideas please?

(6 Posts)
marykat2004 Sat 27-Aug-11 12:45:43

My 7 year old wants a Doctor Who themed party. A few years ago we went to a party in the forest where they had a guy who had the kids to an alien hunt. I thought it was brilliant.

However, DD does not want to repeat the other child's party. She does not want an entertainer brought in, and has a list of only about 6 children she wants to invite, only 3 of whom are from her class . That is also awkward as most of the children at her school invite the whole class; but DD does not enjoy big parties and insists that because it is her birthday she can invite who she wants. I have tried to talk her into going to an event like the Doctor Who Experience in Olympia instead, but she wants a 'party'. She also wants to just have the kids turn up and 'play Doctor Who' which to me sounds like not enough structure.

Please help. We have had a lot of tears already and I don't know what to do. I guess we have let DD have too much choice in her life so far. My mum dictated my parties until I was at least 10. And I hated it, but had to put up with it.

So this is actually more complicated than a Doctor Who themed party... as it has to do with social awkwardness, shyness, social anxiety etc... maybe should post it is another are...

belgo Sat 27-Aug-11 12:49:56

I would organise traditional party games with a Doctor Who theme (Pin the eyestalk on the dalek for example); Doctor Who pictures to colour in; and a Doctor Who cake which you might be able to get from a supermarket.

marykat2004 Sat 27-Aug-11 12:57:35

ah yes we are going to make a Tardis Cake, I've looked at that already. Thank you..

tabulahrasa Sat 27-Aug-11 13:05:21

Ooh you could do some sort of weeping angels/ musical statue thing.

Pass the parcel with dr who wrapping paper and prizes.

Change duck duck goose to dalek dalek cyberman?

belgo Sat 27-Aug-11 13:11:57

'Ooh you could do some sort of weeping angels/ musical statue thing.'

that's brilliant!

Wendyhendy1 Mon 29-Aug-11 08:41:37

I think you're doing the right thing. Who's birthday is it after all? My son turns 7 in a few months and hates big parties, so I have always held small parties for him at home. It's hard going against the norm, but I care more about him being happy on his big day than what other people think. You could organise a Dr Who monster hunt in your garden, by printing out pictures from the internet. I use this website a lot for party games ideas: Monster Party Games They have some good monster party games ideas that you could adapt to a Dr Who theme. Good Luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now