Talk

Advanced search

feeding multitudes

(10 Posts)
PrettyCandles Wed 17-Aug-11 15:42:21

how would you feed about 40-45 4yos at a party?

MayDayChild Wed 17-Aug-11 21:09:59

Tinned mini hotdogs and bridge rolls but order the rolls at large tesco bakery as they always sell out. Microwave dogs. Take large bottle ketchup.
As Gordon would say... Done

2kidsintow Thu 18-Aug-11 00:32:41

I'd have gone for hotdogs too. At one party the hosts had taken along a slow cooker to keep the hotdogs warm in....genius!

PrettyCandles Thu 18-Aug-11 12:19:25

Really? Doesn't it take ages to slice a bun and serve a hotdog 40+ times? And what about ketchup? And what about vegetarians? Veggie hotdogs are truly minging.

PrettyCandles Thu 18-Aug-11 12:21:54

I assumed that whatever food I serve, it should already be on the table or even dished up in portions by the time the hordes are brought in for the party tea.

MayDayChild Thu 18-Aug-11 16:27:17

Slice all rolls across top in advance and rebag. Warm up dogs and dump into rolls, pile on tray and serve. Get another adult to wander round with the ketchup if they are four!
Vegetarians can have minging sausages as well! Would you really eat those tinned dogs at any other occasion?
Anyway four year old lOve them!

PrettyCandles Thu 18-Aug-11 20:26:17

Never mind tinned. These are what I would serve - they're yummy!

zipzap Thu 18-Aug-11 23:41:25

Depends on the time of the party... And what access you have to heating/reheating/keeping things warm.

if it's lunch then you probably need to serve them something reasonably substantial, if it's a mid afternoon party tea when they will have had lunch and be going home to eat in the evening then you don't need to give them much.

Little sausages, little squares of pizza (probably just plain old cheese and tomato), some oven chips, cucumber, carrot and pepper sticks plus a few twiglets or crisps if it is a proper lunch

Few bowls of veggie sticks, few crisps/twiglets, a few cheese cubes and a couple of little sausages each if it is an afternoon tea.

In either case I'd avoid sandwiches as they invariably get left on plates and there are lots left over.

Follow by pudding - jelly you could make in advance in disposable plastic cups, add in a dollop of ice cream for those that want it. Little ice cream lollies have gone down well at a few parties I've been to recently. If you go for cakes then have one chocolatey thing (brownies, chocolate rice crispy cakes) and one non-chocolatey thing (not sure what - I don't really see the point of having treat/cakey things if they don't have serious chocolate in them grin) And maybe a bowl of fruit - simple like strawberries or grapes - depends on how many of them are going to be 3 and you're going to want to cut the grapes for)

Whatever you do, don't let them spot the pudding until after the main course has been cleared away.

Fruit kebabs at one party I went to were well received by the kids and parents thought they were nice too until there were suddenly lots of 4 yr olds using the little sticks to play at swords/daggers/etc at the table so would advise against that idea!

cup cakes seem to be big at the moment - but think they would be a waste at a party for 4 yr olds. Kids seem to take them, take off the decoration if it has one, eat all the icing and then leave the cake, getting disappointed because it isn't the flavour they thought it would be from the icing. And they can be expensive too. Have seen them set out on the table when you first sit down - looks lovely but again the kids want to eat them before the other food once they have seen them.

There's usually way too much food at young children's parties - lots gets left in the serving dishes and even more gets handed out and left behind wasted on the plates.

Hope it all goes OK and you have lots of fun at the party - you're a mad brave woman contemplating that number of 4 year olds!

Thefoxsbrush Thu 18-Aug-11 23:49:45

The last 2 parties we've been to have had packed lunches pre-made in paperbags for all the children on a table. Then when it's feeding time the children line up and are each given a bag - they just sit on the floor in little groups like they're having a picnic! Bags usually contain half a ham sandwich, half a cheese sandwich, a bag of crisps, some fruit, a cake and a carton of juice. You could prepare bags/sandwiches the night before party and there's little mess as everybody puts rubbish in their bags.

0R

You could get a takeaway to deliver pizzas and get everyone to help themselves?

PrettyCandles Fri 19-Aug-11 01:05:26

Dh has vetoed hotdogs. He wants an old-fashioned party tea, all prettily laid out on long tables. I incline to the paper bag idea. Maybe we'll do a combination.

The party is going to be late enough that for some children it may well be their supper, so I'd better have something relatively substantial.

Not cupcakes or kebabs - I agree entirely about those!

I like the jelly in plastic cups ideA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now