Talk

Advanced search

sleep-over party what's the best size? how many is too many ?

(12 Posts)
Mercedes Tue 02-Aug-11 20:43:13

Hi

my dd - soon to be 10 would like a sleepover party for her birthday. Including herself, if she invited everyone she wanted, there would be 8 of them. Is eight 9-10 year olds too much?

I was thinking 5 or 6 but don't like the idea of excluding anyone. I also worry that it's too many and will split into smaller groups.

Any advice or thoughts on optimum size.

TapselteerieO Tue 02-Aug-11 20:52:31

It sounds like a lot to me, but either keep it small, and an even number I.e four (it was more than plenty for my dd's 10th recently), or invite them all but make sure you have craft activities/tattoos, movie laid on and plenty of food. If you keep them busy it should be fine. You won't get much sleep.

Mercedes Tue 02-Aug-11 22:45:58

If you have a sleepover party what's the practice in terms of times. Do I pick them up straight from school or have a start time of 7?

Do I have to provide all the bedding or can I say bring a sleeping bag?

This seemed so easy but I can see its complicated.

TapselteerieO Tue 02-Aug-11 23:36:41

I asked them all to bring sleeping bags, they slept on foam mattresses on the floor, had them all for 24 hours, they came after lunch, we dropped them home the next day(was easier than waiting for parents to come for them).

When I have had an after school sleepover child came with her stuff, straight from school.

statueofliberty Wed 03-Aug-11 08:08:27

My Dd had a sleepover for her 11th birthday. Four girls Inc her,came with own bedding at approx 6pm. Ate t,nails painted,played badminton in garden,watched a film then bed! All together in downstairs room. Went out next day so I dropped them home approx 5pm.also had one for 13 yr old DS,they were much quieter !!!!

JellyQuivvers Mon 05-Sep-11 12:40:46

Mercedes - would love to hear how this party went.....I'm facing a VERY similar party/dilemma (!) in a few weeks with my dd (same age and number of invitees) - did everything work out as planned? Any advice/suggestions/things to avoid at all costs!!!!?? Am bracing myself for the inevitable lack of sleep......grin

ragged Mon 05-Sep-11 12:45:04

We have a max of 3 guests.
I guess I might allow 8-9 if they camped in the garden, neighbours did that, though, and the mob were running around & shouting like loons by 6am.
Strangely enough, they haven't done it again. wink

Have been told by MN I am a big meanie for this.. but I make mine turn out the lights and be quiet after about 10pm. DS was allowed to stay up all night at somebody else's sleepover... I was not impressed.

JellyQuivvers Mon 05-Sep-11 13:52:12

Ragged - I'm with you on enforcing bedtimes - I've been known to change the kitchen clock and lie about the time to get them to sleep at a reasonable hour wink

Mercedes Thu 08-Sep-11 23:01:57

Hi JQ - Once it's all over I will let you know.

startail Thu 08-Sep-11 23:08:24

The number you can sensibly fit in one room, and that get on really well. A sleep over means putting up with each other for a long time. Also, of course they don't do much sleeping, so they have to get on when tired and grumpygrin

cat64 Thu 08-Sep-11 23:37:58

Message withdrawn

Mercedes Tue 20-Sep-11 23:26:26

Hey JQ - I've survived sat night.

there were 8 girls,watched a film, lots of dancing, opened presents and went to bed at 11 but didn't go to sleep until 4 and then were up at 8. When they went to bed i had a quiet area/room if anyone wanted to sleep. 2 girls asked to use it. I got some glow in the dark balloons that they used as night lights.

Next morning it was cornflakes and toast - I got 2 variety packs and they choose what they wanted. they got a bit bored at this point so I sent them out to the garden with a ball.

My daughter said best party ever.

If I was to do it again I think I would try to keep it to 4. More controllable.
I would also have a back-up plan if it flags. I had made up a pass the parcel which they loved and I brought out the uno cards.
They seemed to eat less rubbish and sweets than at normal parties
Think about the morning and what to do.

Good luck with your sleepover

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now