Advanced search

Dolly Varden cake tin

(5 Posts)
LTEC Sat 18-Jun-11 12:18:12

you know those cakes where you stick a legless doll into a skirt-shaped cake? this sort of thing ... in Australia we call them Dolly Varden tins, what are they called in the UK and where could I find one please?


angelpantser Sat 18-Jun-11 19:22:12

Would this be suitable?

twinklytoes Sun 19-Jun-11 07:42:36

you can make one using a regular victoria sponge and shaping the sides video how to here - we've done this and it was very easy and no outlay on new baking tins.

mycatoscar Tue 21-Jun-11 07:14:52

if you google barbie cake tin or bell cake tin, lots will come up

but i made this cake a couple of years back using a pudding bowl cake on top of a round madeira sponge (the pudding bowl on its own is too dumpy) and it worked well.

tip: if you are going to use fondant/roll out icing to cover the cake, do it in segments and decorate the seams with piped on ribbons or edible sparkle - much swearing ensued when i tried to cover it in one flat peice of icing LOL

LTEC Wed 22-Jun-11 17:14:33

thank you!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: