Talk

Advanced search

Alternatives to party bags?

(24 Posts)
fifitot Fri 27-May-11 21:40:59

Any idea of what to give to the kids who will attend my dd's 5th birthday party?

Don't want to spend much and don't want to mess about with party bags so thinking 1 gift? What though?

At a party near Easter they all took home an Easter egg so that was a good idea. Something like that maybe but I am talking June here.

bigTillyMint Fri 27-May-11 21:43:06

A book from the book people - they do sets where 1 book is about £1.

Or be brave and give them a piece of cake and a balloon!

fifitot Fri 27-May-11 21:45:17

Hm that might work. I am not brave enough just to go with the cake and balloon though it makes the most sense, since most stuff just goes in the bin!

TheSydenhamSet Fri 27-May-11 21:49:50

'i'm not brave enough just to go with the cake and balloon'. Do you mean by this that you'd feel embarrassed and stingy?

That's a real shame! So sad ~ I feel that everything is soo competitive now and needlessly so. What's wrong with a child taking home a piece of cake and balloon from a party?? Nowt wrong with that at all. I'm really not sure at this idea of giving presents to attendees. After all, the celebration for another kid's birthday, they're the centre of attention for the day. Don't stress over it (and save lots of money too!).

fifitot Fri 27-May-11 21:52:35

No not embarrassed at all,maybe stingy though.

I am not stressing over it, just thinking of an alternative to yet another bloody party bag. I agree it can get competitive but doesn't seem to be round here, most parties very similar in place, budget etc.

Just fancied a change.

hewlettsdaughter Fri 27-May-11 21:53:47

how about a lucky dip with a small wrapped present for each child inside?

nancy75 Fri 27-May-11 21:55:21

book people do a set of those awful fairy books that 5yr old girls love - I think you get 42 books for about £20, enough for the whole class. Despite being awful they are proper books and look like a good party gift rather than the usual plactic toot (which usually adds up to mare than £20)

DollyTwat Fri 27-May-11 21:56:58

Was just about to day that hewkettsdaughter!
I did that for ds1 went down really well

fifitot Fri 27-May-11 21:58:31

Oh I love the lucky dip idea! Great stuff - thanks.

nancy75 Fri 27-May-11 21:58:39

awful fairy books rainbow magic

onepieceofcremeegg Fri 27-May-11 21:59:57

I did a lucky dip. Things like little notebook sets and small books/toys.
These items were wrapped and I did red and blue (blue more suitable for boys and red for girls) e.g. Ben 10 for boys and Hello Kitty for girls. In a plastic bucket with shredded paper. Easy to prepare well in advance and less fiddly than party bags imo.

I did a separate sweetie lucky dip. 2 items per child.

My only tip would be to announce loudly to the children that as a BIG TREAT it is separate to a party bag. Otherwise one or two may complain. (that happened to me!)

tealady Fri 27-May-11 22:03:50

A comic/kids magazine that has a free gift attached. They get a pressie and something to read.

Ismeyes Fri 27-May-11 22:11:54

I feel abit meh on the books as party bags front, we get a book every party we go to these days - where are the sweets!? grin I like onepiece's idea.

Ismeyes Fri 27-May-11 22:14:21

Incidentally, I was told by the lady in Hawkins Bazzar that collectable erasers are the current party bag gift trend and very popular in primary schools. Imagine! A trend in party bags?!

MadamDeathstare Fri 27-May-11 22:16:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nancy75 Fri 27-May-11 22:17:07

skipping ropes have been quite popular instead of party bag gifts at a couple of parties we have been to

MadamDeathstare Fri 27-May-11 22:19:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

onepieceofcremeegg Fri 27-May-11 22:21:50

fantastic idea re icecream voucher

fifitot Fri 27-May-11 22:53:28

Thanks for ideas.

lifesabeech Sat 28-May-11 22:29:33

DD2 had her birthday party yesterday. Instead of struggling to wrap cake in napkins, the children decorated leopard bags and spelt their names and decorated the bags with stickers. They also decorated larger bags and used them for a treasure hunt for chocs, pencils and stickers - no plastic waste and a cheap and easy craft and game - I didn't even have to fill the bags!

Domesticbodess Sun 29-May-11 20:08:57

A water pistol
Bubbles
A ball
I am thinking Summery things for the garden

Adair Sun 29-May-11 20:13:41

ahhh but they love the little bags! Have been totally won over to party bags - though small - dd's had a balloon, pen and rubber (no idea we were so on trend grin) and haribo sweets. Bubbles always good. Ooh and loud blowy things. It's the ritual the kids like IMVHO. They don't care what's inside...

ja9 Mon 30-May-11 19:45:04

i'd go with either an already blown up punch balloon (with some rice in it for sound effect)

or one of those long bubble wand things

nondomesticgoddess Tue 31-May-11 18:39:39

Look in the £1 shop. I got Disney tins last year at dd's 4th birthday and just filled them with sweets. They also often have cups and mugs. But it is luck of the draw in terms of what they happen to have in though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: