Talk

Advanced search

Healthy snacks to take into school for birthday.

(14 Posts)
QuackQuackBoing Mon 16-May-11 11:19:08

Any ideas? The school say only healthy snacks and give raisins as an example. Everyone probably takes raisins in though so was after other ideas.

Domesticbodess Mon 16-May-11 14:35:02

Strawberries as long as no allergies. Grapes? cheese and pineapple on sticks. Could you be a rebel and take yoghurt coated raisins?

ANTagony Mon 16-May-11 14:35:54

fruit kebabs with a fromage frais dip

QuackQuackBoing Mon 16-May-11 14:48:43

I think they just hand the snacks out. Not sure they would appreciate me taking in something messing like a dip or something dangerous (in the hands of 4 year olds) like a skewer!

Ismeyes Mon 16-May-11 22:03:28

Could you make little flapjacks? You can get little packets of fruit based sweets in Tesco and Sainsburys with the dried fruit, I'm not sure they are healthy, but surely no more sugary than raisins! Humzinger fruit bars? Shiny and colourful.

How does your school define a healthy snack?

TrillianAstra Mon 16-May-11 22:16:09

Wait just outside the school gates with curly wurlies and thumb your nose at them!

ChippyMinton Tue 17-May-11 10:43:18

Rebel and get Natural Sweet Company (or whatever they are called) jelly snakes.

exoticfruits Tue 17-May-11 11:01:05

I would just do your own thing in the playground! Does a DC really want raisins or dried apricots as a birthday treat?

exoticfruits Tue 17-May-11 11:02:42

I can entirely see the point of healthy snacks for break, but if you can't do a treat for a birthday I wouldn't bother taking anything-it defeats the object.

Tortoise Tue 17-May-11 11:05:36

Glad my dcs school don't have this rule. DD1 has taken in home made chocolate brownies and fairy cakes today for her birthday!

QuackQuackBoing Tue 17-May-11 13:41:27

The only example they have given is raisins so not sure what else they would think is ok. Probably couldn't take in jelly sweets anyway because of the geletine stuff.

exoticfruits Tue 17-May-11 22:28:09

How are raisins a birthday treat? I bet the staff don't take in cut up fruit and raisins on their birthday-more likely chocolate cake!!
How do children ever work out for themselves a balanced diet if everyone pretends that food is just a fuel and even on a birthday you can't have anything different than a normal morning break?

hocuspontas Tue 17-May-11 22:31:47

Agree - don't bother. Birthdays mean sweets or cakes. I think they are taking 'healthy eating' too far.

mnt Sun 12-Jun-11 23:01:27

I recently tried some fruit crisps called Nim's at the Foodies Fair that were really nice. Quite unusual - they had mango and pineapple mix, which were my favourite. My daughter loved the apple and strawberry and surprisingly my 6 year old son loved the orange crisps! Not sure if they're available in supermarkets but I ordered on line.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: