Talk

Advanced search

party bag alternatives

(17 Posts)
smartie Tue 09-Sep-03 11:33:15

I'm about to through a party for dd1's 6th birthday and don't want the hassel of organising party bags, I would much rather hand each child a small present as they leave. Any ideas?

WideWebWitch Tue 09-Sep-03 11:38:10

I bought 2 bags of mixed fun size bars and let the children take one from each and a piece of cake on the way out. No good if you're trying to avoid chocolate I suppose but cheaper than bags and they all seemed pleased.

Neetsmassi Tue 09-Sep-03 11:40:56

For my daughter's birthday I gave each child a book. I bought them in packs of 10 from The Book People (have a look at their website)and they ended up costing between 70p and £1 each (much cheaper than a party bag!). All the parents were pleased as it meant no small toys to break on the way home and no sugar to make their kids go loopy. When we see our friends they still talk about them!

Neetsmassi Tue 09-Sep-03 11:41:34

For my daughter's birthday I gave each child a book. I bought them in packs of 10 from The Book People (have a look at their website)and they ended up costing between 70p and £1 each (much cheaper than a party bag!). All the parents were pleased as it meant no small toys to break on the way home and no sugar to make their kids go loopy. When we see our friends they still talk about them!

Neetsmassi Tue 09-Sep-03 11:42:40

Neetsmassi Tue 09-Sep-03 11:45:07

sorry computer playing up!

Jenie Tue 09-Sep-03 11:46:30

We did this last year of dd's 4th birthday. We had a face painting party where the children painted their own faces using a couple of sets of face paints and sponges. Then left with face paints (£2 or £2.50) from Tesco. We did add another small gift ie a girly gift or a boy gift but it wasn't necessary as everyone talked about getting face paints for weeks afterwards.

They got just lollypops and other small sweets for winning games (being the character you've painted on your face was hysterical). The sweets were not consumed at our house but put in bags to be taken home, along with wrapped face paints and other.

4yrs is an easier age for small gifts I think as we put in some small art packs that were 99p (pre bagged) and some jewlery (also from Tesco) depending on it being a boy or a girl.

What ever you decide I hope you all enjoy it.

iota Tue 09-Sep-03 11:47:30

Woolies do "Lucky bags" which are like ready made up party bags of various sorts eg Scooby Doo or Barbie ones, I think.
They are also quite good to use as prizes for party games.

Jenie Tue 09-Sep-03 11:47:45

We did this last year of dd's 4th birthday. We had a face painting party where the children painted their own faces using a couple of sets of face paints and sponges. Then left with face paints (£2 or £2.50) from Tesco. We did add another small gift ie a girly gift or a boy gift but it wasn't necessary as everyone talked about getting face paints for weeks afterwards.

They got just lollypops and other small sweets for winning games (being the character you've painted on your face was hysterical). The sweets were not consumed at our house but put in bags to be taken home, along with wrapped face paints and other.

4yrs is an easier age for small gifts I think as we put in some small art packs that were 99p (pre bagged) and some jewlery (also from Tesco) depending on it being a boy or a girl.

What ever you decide I hope you all enjoy it.

Jenie Tue 09-Sep-03 11:49:01

sorry computer also playing up, must be contagious!

Northerner Tue 09-Sep-03 12:01:16

My friends ds (6) had her birthday party last week. My friend bought pack of cheap plain white t shirts (from BHS) and during the party the kids decorated them with fabric pens, glue ang glitter etc, and insted of a party bag they tok home their t shirts. The kids loved it!

Northerner Tue 09-Sep-03 12:01:45

Sorry - that should be my friends dd, not ds!

I'm so used to posting about my ds!

Blu Tue 09-Sep-03 12:13:00

We kept a polaroid camera to hand, and took pictures of each child during the party...then put a picture of each child with the 'birthday boy' in the party bag to take home and keep.

codswallop Tue 09-Sep-03 13:19:35

A sword or a cutlass! If theres a them to the party(eg pirates) this is ideal

robinw Tue 09-Sep-03 14:23:27

message withdrawn

Eve Tue 09-Sep-03 14:25:46

Second the Book People, 10 books for £9.99...I did a lucky dip for books which they all liked.

smartie Sun 14-Sep-03 15:07:03

Thanks for the ideas, I've plumped for the book people and am now desperately hoping the order arrives by wednesday!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: