Talk

Advanced search

Timings for 6 yr old's party at home

(8 Posts)
odetothewestwing Tue 04-Jan-11 18:56:30

dd will be six soon and we are having a small party at home to which she has invited 6 friends. So - 8 in total (incl. ds).

Had been thinking of a Saturday afternoon, perhaps 4.00-5.30pm (on the assumption that Sat mornings can often be hectic with swimming / other activities)

Or should I go for 2 hours?

The rough plan is some arts/crafts upon arrival that I guess could take up half an hour min (I have a couple of things for them to do) - a few party games and the party tea.

What do you think?

auntyfash Tue 04-Jan-11 19:00:21

I did 3 hours for my lad's 7th birthday party. I do think an hoiur and a half is too short, they'll hardly have time to do anything. The party tea and then the cake and candle blowing etc will take up about an hour. I think 2 hours at the very least is reasonable. Honestly, it'll go in no time.

DilysPrice Tue 04-Jan-11 19:02:17

I'd say 4-6 at least, bearing in mind that some people are usually very late IME.

odetothewestwing Tue 04-Jan-11 19:08:27

Thanks, guys. The last party we did at home a couple of years ago was 2 hours and was for 14 and that one DID go quickly! Think I have just lost a wee bit of confidence. Will go for 2 hours so that we can have plenty of fun, perhaps 4-6, would you say that's a good time of day? smile

cat64 Tue 04-Jan-11 19:10:47

Message withdrawn

odetothewestwing Tue 04-Jan-11 19:15:17

LOL! Good point. I'll make that 3pm-5pm, by 6pm behaviour could be on a steep downhill slope (and that's just my two year old!).

PandaG Tue 04-Jan-11 19:54:30

2 hours absolutely plenty.

ime eating and cake takes no longer than 1/2 an hour tops, but I would time it so you have some time after food to cut up cake and put it in party bag - if you are doing that.

craft activities often don't take as long as you anticipate, so have some extras up your sleeve - say make some biscuits whicj they can ice, or a couple of extra party games that take little preparation - eg objects on a tray

Wendyhendy1 Tue 11-Jan-11 11:22:29

I found a great website that offer free party plans for children's parties. You don't need to stick to them religiously, but they make for a good guide. Try this link Pirate Theme Party Plan

Good Luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now