Talk

Advanced search

mum's 80th birthday party - should I make a speech?

(4 Posts)
hatwoman Fri 17-Dec-10 23:03:50

the problem is I don;t trust myself not to blub blush! Mum thinks she's coming to my house for a family get together - me, 2 brothers, our partners and kids. she doesn;t know that about 30 others are coming too.

My mum is a remarkable woman. single since I was 13 she's seen me and my two brothers through all sorts. she kept the family together. she was a (very good) sn teacher for many years. she still does voluntary work - running a lunch club for the "elderly". But if I tried to say just that quick summary of why she's brilliant I'd end up a wreck...I know. I'm pathetic. what to do?? we'd certainly like to raise a glass to her. to what extent would people expect a few words? not sure either db would want to do it either.

carocaro Sat 18-Dec-10 22:59:54

DO a speech and cry buckets it wil be fabulous, get drink inside you and go for it! You don't have to list everything, just say somethink like "from all the children you helped, to the hot meals to the elderley and for just being the best mom ever"

DO IT!

gailpud Thu 23-Dec-10 13:02:46

A speech is essential! I say write it down and read it out if you are nervous. Have a little cry if you want, everyone will join in!
At the big family do's I have been to its the speeches I always remember.
Good luck, tell us how it goes!

IloveJudgeJudy Thu 30-Dec-10 14:51:37

Agree with the others, speech essential. I would write it down and practise it a few times and then hopefully you won't blub out of control. A bit of blubbing is always great, anyway. My quite uptight uncle blubbed at his 70th party. I'd never seen him shed a single tear before. It was quite moving and touching.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now