Talk

Advanced search

invite wording - help please

(13 Posts)
UniS Sun 12-Dec-10 20:50:17

Any one got ideas they care to share.

scenario is

2 children from different families having a joint 5th birthday party in village hall. Inviting whole school class plus few extras.

Both inviting families do not want people to bring presents to the party ,the party is on neither childs birthday.

So

how does one politely say - we don't want you to feel obliged to give our child a birthday present. NO don't do it. and as for you, uber competitive mum ( you know who you are and how you behaved at the last joint party), DON'T DO IT.

mollymax Sun 12-Dec-10 20:52:40

I think you will find it hard to hold a party and not get presents. For children part of going to a party is taking a present.

UniS Sun 12-Dec-10 21:02:11

We don't intend to give party bags at end either, just a kids disco and tea and, bye off you go with a balloon and bit of cake.

hows about

X&Y would like to invite Z to their party on XXXXXX.

at
yyyyyy

Kids disco and tea .

RSVP
Ps- As party is not on X or Ys birthday please don't bring presents to party.

lifeinagoldfishbowl Sun 12-Dec-10 21:08:03

How about

You are invited to a disco on xxx at xxx

RSVP

UniS Sun 12-Dec-10 21:10:01

so don't mention which kids are doing the inviting , interesting. will think about that.

ChippingIn Sun 12-Dec-10 21:12:52

Why don't you want the children to bring presents? It's traditional, children like to bring them and the birthday children like to receive them - why is it such a big deal?

taffetazatyousantaclaus Sun 12-Dec-10 21:33:09

I would be very confused if told not to bring presents to the party. Do you want me then to find out exactly when each child's birthday is and give the present on the exact date? That would really piss me off, tbh. Got many other things to be doing with my time.

lifeinagoldfishbowl Sun 12-Dec-10 21:35:18

UniS - I just meant don't mention it's a birthday disco

So

To A

You are invited to a disco on xxx at xxxx

contact B's Mum or C's Mum on xxx to let us know if you can come.

taffetazatyousantaclaus Sun 12-Dec-10 21:36:32

....If, OTOH, you don't want your child or the other child to get any presents from their friends ( I think this is a bit sad for them when at 5 they must notice its the norm at other parties ), then say:

No presents, thank you.

Rindercella Sun 12-Dec-10 21:40:24

I think you should just send out the invitations and not mention anything about presents. You must state it's a birthday party for 2 5 year old girls - would be weird not to.

Rise about the uber competitive mother. It doesn't matter in the greater scheme of things. If she wants to give huge presents to your children, let her. Just don't try and compete with her.

UniS Sun 12-Dec-10 23:12:34

reason for no presents.

small houses, kids have plenty of play things already, general level of moaning among parents at cost of "all these parties X gets invited to".

Other parents in the area have started the trend by holding a joint party (for all birthdays in a month in a class) and stating "please bring one present for a boy/ girl" BUT their party only had twice the number of guests as birthday children , thanks to uneven spread of birthdays the class in spring will be twice the size and only 2 kids "hosting".

Interesting to see differing views on here.

ChippingIn Mon 13-Dec-10 11:20:07

Uni - sorry, but I think it's mean - to both the children attending and the children whose party it is. Taking and receiving presents is part of the fun of parties. By the time you take all of the wrapping off and eat/use a good percentage of the presents, there's not much extra to find a space for. As for the parents moaning - they just need to be a bit resourceful, creative about the presents really.

Why not put something like this on, for the people who are struggling financially...

'We appreciate that it's a busy & expensive time of the year. A & B are really looking forward to their party and hope you can make it - it really isn't necessary to bring a present, we just want all of the children to enjoy the party and would really appreciate it if you can find the time to attend. If your child would like to bring a present - then please just bring one and they will be shared between A & B - but it's really not necessary!'

(I hope you are printing the invites grin)

Though - please tell me this isn't for a party in the spring months away?

UniS Mon 13-Dec-10 16:46:56

not many months away, spring term starts in 3 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now