Talk

Advanced search

jacket potatoes as party food

(9 Posts)
yellowkiwi Sun 14-Nov-10 16:12:52

I'm doing an after school party for my DS who will be 6. I was going to cook pizzas as all the children will have had sandwiches for lunch and as I will have been at work for most of the day I won't have time to make sandwiches. Unfortunately I've just found out that there are no cooking facilities at all at the hall I've rented - just a heat up thing that keeps food warm. Would jacket potatoes be a strange thing to have as party food? Does anyone have any other ideas?

lollipopshoes Sun 14-Nov-10 16:15:34

I've had jacket spuds as party food and tbh it was nice not to get the usual sausage rolls and sandwiches.

I think it's a lovely, healthy idea

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 14-Nov-10 16:16:32

I would think it odd - and would also think it would be very difficult for small children to eat them easily (and they're not really very exciting, are they?!)

Do you have a budget?

How about ordering delivery pizzas?

If that's too expensive, what about hot dogs? They can be heated up easily/quickly, and you can buy buns ready sliced - just need to provide ketchup.

GrimmaTheNome Sun 14-Nov-10 16:18:27

Nice idea for those that like them, but not every 6 year old likes baked spuds.

Would hot dogs be feasible as an alternative?

OnceUponA Sun 14-Nov-10 16:19:20

I think that is a lovely idea! I remember being at Brownies when I was little- our party food there was always jacket potatoes and we loved it!

Ooooh I want one now.

ANTagony Sun 14-Nov-10 16:22:44

Hot dogs you can do with a kettle of hot water.

Jacket potatoes sound good though. You could do it like one of those potato bars where you could choose your own fillings i.e. cheese, sweetcorn, tuna, coleslaw etc. Then sauces.

pointydog Sun 14-Nov-10 16:23:51

The thing is, you can just eat pizza with your hands. You need to sit down with a knife an dfork to eat a tattie.

What about hot dogs? Or sausage rolls.

SuePurblybilt Sun 14-Nov-10 16:24:38

I have done mini jackets - baking small or baby potatoes and stuffing with shredded leeks and cheese. Very popular.

I'd say soup in a thermos but it's not very party-y grin

PrettyCandles Sun 14-Nov-10 17:28:10

Why not? Excellent idea. Especially as jacket potatoes keep their heat a long time, so you could even bake them all at home. Just before you leave for the hall, put them straight from the oven into a cardboard box wrapped a blanket. They should be ata good eating temperature by the time the children are ready to eat - no re-heating necessary!

You could have tubs of tuna mayo, baked beans, grated cheese etc all prepared as well. Plastic cutlery in cups. Individual juice cartons. The children will know the drill from school dinners.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: