Talk

Advanced search

Christening gift

(17 Posts)
nappyaddict Fri 13-Aug-10 17:35:40

Which would you most like? Are there any you would dislike?

Hallmarked pair of silver cufflinks (would you get DOB or date of christening engraved on?)

Bottle of champagne/whiskey/port to mature on 18th birthday (how do i get this?) or produced year of his birth.

Silver or crystal photo frame

Collection of hardback classic books

Beer tankard

Hip flask

Snow globe

Antique coins

Birth stone

nappyaddict Fri 13-Aug-10 17:55:52

this

CuppaTeaJanice Fri 13-Aug-10 18:03:14

I'm guessing it's for a boy? Maybe something with his birthstone in. A leather bound book set with a stone?

I wouldn't like the alcohol (drink it and it's gone), hip flask (old man) or snowglobe (naff).

I usually buy a tree or perennial plant with a name somehow related to the child. Fruit trees are especially good as the child can eat the fruit as they get older. Of course not so good for families that move house a lot!

nappyaddict Fri 13-Aug-10 18:08:16

Plant no good cos they rent so would have to be left behind eventually.

What about the beer tankard, would you like that?

loler Fri 13-Aug-10 18:12:05

I've just looked on here for inspiration for my nephew - I like the alchol idea but could see his father drinking it!

Plant idea is a nice one - and it made me remember the plant a tree in the national forrest scheme. (doesn't clutter up the house and lasts forever) Off to have a look.

onimolap Fri 13-Aug-10 18:16:14

Tankard would be good - especially if you get it engraved.

I like the idea of classic books, though you'll need to check with the parents in case they already have a good stock. A Bible, prayer book or hymn book would also be appropriate from a Godparent.

FakePlasticTrees Fri 13-Aug-10 18:23:08

Not a tankard - DH got one for his Christening. It is sat in our sideboard, still unused 32 years later, and has to be polished - I'd say nothing silver.

The books seem like something that would actually get used and loved. A really good set of classics would be lovely.

Cufflinks are also a good idea, although get something classic so they don't date.

greentriangle Fri 13-Aug-10 18:25:33

Have to say, best Christening gifts my DCs got were toys.

nappyaddict Fri 13-Aug-10 18:36:22

Can anyone find me some classic garnet cufflinks?

loler Fri 13-Aug-10 18:36:56

Love that's 100 year diary - might buy for ds2 (nearly 3 who's baby book is still yet to be started!)

nappyaddict Fri 20-Aug-10 14:24:12

Thinking of getting him a book now. Ideas so far:

The Velveteen Rabbit
We're going on a bear hunt
Eric Carle set
The Gruffalo
Hug
Owl Babies
Water Babies
Just So Stories
The Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly
The Tiger Who Came to Tea
Because I Love You
You Are Special
You Are Mine
When We Were Very Young
I Love You Forever
Oh The Places You'll Go
The Story of Babar
The Tale of the Three Trees
Wind in the Willows
Peter Pan
Rupert Bear
Paddington Bear
A. A. Milne Winne the Pooh stories
Thomas the Tank Engine (old editions with beautiful pictures)

Not sure if these ones are too girly?

Beatrix Potter
Narnia
Alice Through The Looking Glass
Madeline
Pippi Longstocking
Milly Molly Mandy

lizzybizzy Fri 20-Aug-10 15:24:29

Hi, i've just created a post about a website i've found that do personalised CDs and they've got a Christening section. Think that would make a lovely gift and keepsake.

I bought a CD for my daughters birthday party and had it personalised. you can get £1 off each one you buy if you put ksv10 in the voucher code box at check out.

lb

nappyaddict Fri 20-Aug-10 16:15:31

Oh Yes DS had one of those CDs for Christmas, but the songs weren't well-known so he's not that keen.

I may get him this series.

nappyaddict Fri 20-Aug-10 16:19:09

Or Wizard of Oz?

nickelbabe Fri 20-Aug-10 16:24:12

ooh, yes, books, now you're talking!

we have lovely gift editions (in a slipcase but bound as one book), the Beatrix potter, thomas the tank engine, winnie the pooh

you can also get a Baby and Toddler Treasury from Puffin, which has loads of different stories and poems (little picture book stories - nothign huge)

but there's also an egmont Childhood Collection, which has winnie the pooh, barbar, thomas and something else - can't see it from here, but you get the idea - the Puffin one is £14.99 and the others are about £30 each.

if you're doing books, the best thing you can do is go to your local bookshop (preferably independent! grin ) and have a look at their offerings - there are sooo many lovely gift editions that can be keepsakes available.

nappyaddict Mon 10-Oct-11 22:46:35

Just bumping this because am about to be a godparent again soon grin

How about a glass beer tankard that could be engraved as opposed to a silver one?

Pigleychez Wed 19-Oct-11 14:24:14

We are off to a Christening on Sunday and have bought this as a gift.

Useful but still a keepsake. I had some as a child and my parents still have them. In fact my DD's now use them when we visit. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now