Talk

Advanced search

My son has been made redundant and I'm worried about him

(10 Posts)
Astrabees Wed 01-Jul-20 15:33:31

DS2 worked incredibly hard to get a degree in fashion design two years ago and found a job very quickly after graduating with a high end womens fashion brand. He has really loved supporting the head designer and sourcing fabrics etc. They seemed very pleased with him and he had a small promotion and got some foreign travel. He is learning Italian to help with buying trips.
It seems his company has over expanded and although most of the staff have been kept on on reduced wages he is one of a few who were furloughed and have now been made redundant. He is gutted, and so am I.
He is trying to put a brave face on and will start job hunting this week, but I suspect it will not be easy. He lives in London at the moment so we have not been able to see each other since lockdown began. I'm at a loss to know how to support him and feel it is so unfair that after he has worked so hard and lived and breathed the brand it should end like this. I know there are people in far worse straits than him, he has somewhere to stay for a few months and can always come home if he needs to but I worry so much.
Not sure what else to say, I'm just so sad about this.

OP’s posts: |
Nospringchickendipper Thu 02-Jul-20 10:47:44

It is very hard for a parent of adult children to watch them struggling. All you can do is let them know you are there for them and they can ring you any time night or day. Returning back home is not what they will want to do but knowing they will have that security if needed.Hopefully he will get another job. We are living in uncertain times.
We have supported our adult son and daughter through difficult times and later on they said how glad they were even if they didn't show it at the time.

Astrabees Thu 02-Jul-20 12:16:51

Yes, Nospring, I know there isn't much I can actually do. He is very good with money and has some savings, which have increased while he has been furloughed and in lockdown, so i don't have to leap in with financial support now. We would certainly help out financially if he needed it but there is somewhere he can live rent free for a few months once his present tenancy expires. Once the new relaxed lockdown rules have been in place for a couple of weeks we will go and visit and go for a morale enhancing lunch, will hopefully get a better picture then.

pallasathena Thu 02-Jul-20 17:25:22

He sounds wonderful OP so I don't think you need to worry too much. They're resilient at that age and his experience with high end brands will look amazing on his CV and with good references, the world's his oyster!
We all go through tough times but if we keep things in perspective, they can make us not break us.

Astrabees Fri 03-Jul-20 13:30:43

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, thank you pallasathena.

sadie9 Fri 17-Jul-20 20:44:53

You can't have his feelings for him. He has coped this far, he has great experience for his CV and has lost his job from circumstances that many others find themselves in.
He cam always offer to work voluntarily a few hours in a design place, while also doing another job to get by. Or do an extra course. These things sometimes throw up opportunities too.
He is only out of college, he has plenty of time and only himself to worry about. He might be coping better than you!0

bluerad Fri 17-Jul-20 21:17:40

I know exactly how you feel Astrabees. My DD was made redundant the day before lockdown and wasn't furloughed. She's finding job hunting incredibly tough and has only managed to secure one interview. 100 applicants and 10 interviewed but she wasn't successful. She is single and has a mortgage to pay so things are tough for her at the moment. My mum says that no matter how old your children are, you never stop worrying about them.
Hope your son finds something soon.

Theredjellybean Fri 17-Jul-20 21:22:28

My d made redundant after two months of furlough and many all company team calls telling everyone not to worry, they were doing OK. She has 15 month tenency on flat in Central London.. And has applied for loads of jobs.. She didnt go to uni, and job experience is all PA, office /hr admin... Not much call for that as offices still very quiet.
I worry so much.

Littlepoppet1 Fri 17-Jul-20 21:48:32

How’s your son doing @Astrabees

ssd Mon 20-Jul-20 08:32:45

Have followed this with interest.
Hope some of the kids here have found other jobs now.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in