Talk

Advanced search

The worst can happen anywhere

(8 Posts)
flickeringout Mon 30-Dec-19 16:59:44

We are currently on holiday in a European country. On Saturday my adult daughter was sexually attacked in a shop in broad daylight buying water. We rang the police immediately, they came within minutes, he was arrested immediately. Although my daughter speaks the language they gave us a translator and they were wonderfully kind and patient with us all. On Sunday the court was open for her to give her testimony to the prosecutor and today she picked him out of a line up, was cross examined by the defence counsel but it has resulted with a court date being set for next month and the police are convinced he will get a year custodial sentence . This has been an awful ordeal for us but we can't speak highly enough of the local police who never once doubted my daughter.
We will be forever grateful she escaped, it could of been so much worse.
My daughter has travelled the world, been through uni, lives in a big city etc and I worry about her safety daily yet I blithely sent her out on sat am without a caution.

OP’s posts: |
flickeringout Mon 30-Dec-19 19:03:05

Just read the post about the poor girl in Cyprus , made me realise how lucky we have been. My daughter is subdued but she is here with us and we are all together.

Sandsnake Mon 30-Dec-19 19:11:04

Oh that’s just horrible. I’m really sorry that this happened to your daughter and to you. I can’t imagine how you’re feeling but hope that you can both take some solace in what sounds like some wonderful policing.flowers

flickeringout Mon 30-Dec-19 19:18:24

Thank you Sandsnake. I'm firstly her mum so I have stayed strong for her but I'm desperately upset that she has had to go through this. It has been merciful that it's been dealt with so quickly!

Ocies Mon 30-Dec-19 19:21:53

I’m so very sorry that your daughter has had this awful,ordeal and the obvious impact on your family. Thank goodness the police process worked well. Love from me, a stranger, to you. Hold your daughter tight.

Soozikinzii Mon 30-Dec-19 19:43:42

I am very sorry to read this but glad that it all seems to have been handled correctly . Also glad your daughter did the right thing by reporting the incident. Take care x

flickeringout Tue 31-Dec-19 12:29:13

Thank you both for your kind comments. In the heat of the moment my husband and sons wanted to go and sort the matter out themselves but common sense prevailed! I know other poor girls haven't been so lucky and I am so sad for that. Young women should be able to go about their business without this constant fear.

Sortinghatton Wed 01-Jan-20 16:01:38

Well done on doing the right things all of you. So sorry that this has happened to your daughter. It's good that you've all been there to support her. Great also that the police have done what's needed, so quickly and effectively too.

I'm sorry that it's spoiled your Christmas holidays together. I hope you, your daughter and your family are starting to feel a bit better now. I also hope you have can some better moments together before any of you have to go back to work.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in